Boiler not firing right away when calling for heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Westie

Reaction score
I have a sealed combustion boiler that heats both my domestic hot water and my infloor heating system. My boiler is operating properly; however, when my Erie SR201 relay calls for heat the boiler doesn't start up right away. First the relay wasn't calling for heat at all (but water temp was below set limit - I reset power, relay lite came on calling for heat and the boiler fired right up. Now if I reset power, the relay lites up to call for heat, but the boiler doesn't fire right away. It has been eventually firing and satisfying the hot water, but sometimes in takes forever to kick in. It seems to be doing it more and more and waiting longer to fire. I replaced the aquastat as I had a spare, but it didn't solve anything. Any help would be appreciated.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be the relay is going bad. You should hear it click. You'd need to hunker down with a tester to see what's happening, but generally if the relay doesn't click then the contacters aren't closing which means it's wearing out.

Westie

Reaction score
Could be the relay is going bad. You should hear it click. You'd need to hunker down with a tester to see what's happening, but generally if the relay doesn't click then the contacters aren't closing which means it's wearing out.
I can hear the relay click and the call for heat light turns on, but the boiler won't fire up.

Westie

Reaction score
I just tried to jump the infloor heat relay with a wire and the boiler turns on instantly. If I do the same to the domestic hot water heater relay nothing happens. Does that mean the relay is bad? That looks like a simple fix. Please advise.

Westie

Reaction score
I just tried to jump the infloor heat relay with a wire and the boiler turns on instantly. If I do the same to the domestic hot water heater relay nothing happens. Does that mean the relay is bad? That looks like a simple fix. Please advise.
Thanks for the help. I took my infloor heat relay cube and swapped it with my DHW cube, and the boiler fired right up after I turned on the breaker. It has been heating since. Fingers crossed.

Westie

Reaction score
Phone number for erie to see if the relay is still available. Any numbers on relay? 800) 558-3916
Well, that worked all morning, and its right back to where it was. Calling for heat but boiler sits idle. It must be the whole 2 zone relay control??

Fitter30

Reaction score
Do u have a clamp on amp meter and a ac volt meter? Erie control x1 and x2 are the contacts to turn on the boiler control may be wired differently. Reading across them 24v is control isn't calling for boiler. 0v control is calling. To accurately take a amp reading need to make a amp multiplier. Ten loops of wire wrapped around your hand or pipe two end stripped wired in series with the control wiring. Whatever reading divided by 10. 5 amps.= .5 amp. Manual doesn't show what amperage the x1 & 2 contacts are rated. Should be on relay. If the relay chatters that would take it out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks