Boiler Fill/Pressure Reducing Valve and Relief Valve recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Found out the fill valve and relief valve on my boiler are not functioning as they should and looking for a recommendation on brand and/or model to choose or stay away from. First off noticed the pressure will rise slowly over a few days (without boiler even running). And then I saw that the pressure was over 30 and the relief valve did not even open.

Right now it has a Bell & Gossett Pressure Reducing Valve, not sure on the relief valve as it has no tags or labels. The boiler is a gas fired Raypak (not sure on the model, the data plate is unreadable. I think it's a late 90 vintage).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pressure relief valve needed depends on how high you need to pump the water, but many of them come with 30psi, which is good for many houses. If you have 3 or more stories, you probably need one that opens higher. It is important that the thing does work, though, as excessive pressure could lead to a dangerous situation if that valve can't open.

Reaction score
I figure the relief valve needed replacing to, once figuring out the reducing valve was leaking. Pressure gage was up to 40 PSI, and the relief wasn't even dripping. Right now the supply is shut off to the boiler and the pressure was dropped to 15 PSI. Plus I have barely had to use the boiler, (I like to cool or some would say cold, still shorts weather to me, once it's in the 30's i'll think about changing).

And the home is only 2 floors, so 12 to 15 psi is good.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I figure the relief valve needed replacing to, once figuring out the reducing valve was leaking. Pressure gage was up to 40 PSI, and the relief wasn't even dripping. Right now the supply is shut off to the boiler and the pressure was dropped to 15 PSI. Plus I have barely had to use the boiler, (I like to cool or some would say cold, still shorts weather to me, once it's in the 30's i'll think about changing).

And the home is only 2 floors, so 12 to 15 psi is good.

Watts S1156F water feed and watts 374a relief

Reaction score
i ended up putting in a Watts S1156F water feed and watts 374a rv, they were what was conveniently available and a reasonable price. Just needed to adjust the feed valve as it was set at 25 PSI out of the box. The watts feed/regulator seems to feed a lot faster (in normal operation and fast fill) than the B&G, not sure if it that is how they are or if it was because the B&G was dead. All I needed to do was adjust the regulator, as it was set to 25 psi out of the box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks