Boiler Condensate Neutralizer Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dwassner

Reaction score
I made my own neutralizer out of 2" pvc, 30" long, tilted upward, so that the condensate needs to fill the entire pipe from the bottom before exiting out the top.

The pvc is filled with crushed marble.

After a few years, I just checked the filter and it still had marble chips in it, but not nearly full.

I'm just wondering how to gauge when the time is to replace the marble. When it's nearly empty? Sooner than that? Will the marble loose its ability to neutralize at some point even if the pipe is full of chips?

Thank you,
Dustin

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
There is no exact right answer as to how little chips are still effective w/o using test strips and sampling.
Clear neutralizers like this one from Navien is how to easily keep tabs:
GXXX001322.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Chat works also. Change it once or twice year. If you have the room the floor drain is close 5 gallon bucket with lid filled chat bulkhead fitting out the side piped high ,pipe or hose to drain

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The amount of surface area compared to the flow rate (and the actual incoming pH) will all play into how well the thing will work, so, hard to tell without testing the outlet's pH. Dwell time compared to surface area will determine. Low volume, low surface area could work, to get the same results with a higher volume would require either more surface area, or more dwell time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks