Blue Water

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Nuwer

Reaction score
I have a blue tint in my water and wonder if by any chance it may be coming from the resin in my water softener. It seems to be most prevalent right after a re-generation cycle.

J. Blakley

Reaction score
Hey Al,
A couple things come to mind.
1. Copper plumbing corrosion will cause blue/green water. Can be caused by a lot of different things. ie: Low pH or chemical/contaminant imbalance (google "Langalier Saturation Index"), missing dielectric union at copper/galvanized transitions, high turbulence in piping, etc.
2. Are you using Res-up, Pro Res Care or other water softener "cleaners"? If the feeder is adding too much, and/or the system isn't backwashing adequately it can cause blue water.
3. Natural levels of copper occuring in a well. (Rare, but possible)
Those are the first places I would look...
Best of Luck!

Al Nuwer

Reaction score
Hey Al,
A couple things come to mind.
1. Copper plumbing corrosion will cause blue/green water. Can be caused by a lot of different things. ie: Low pH or chemical/contaminant imbalance (google "Langalier Saturation Index"), missing dielectric union at copper/galvanized transitions, high turbulence in piping, etc.
2. Are you using Res-up, Pro Res Care or other water softener "cleaners"? If the feeder is adding too much, and/or the system isn't backwashing adequately it can cause blue water.
3. Natural levels of copper occuring in a well. (Rare, but possible)
Those are the first places I would look...
Best of Luck!

Thanks J. for your reply. I do have 20 year old copper plumbing. I only us salt in my softener (no softener cleaners), and it is city water. The crazy thing is, it only appears to show up in one bath tub in the entire house of 3 bathrooms and many sinks. Looks like I will have to get my water analyzed once businesses open up again to check the LSI factor.
Stay safe!

Al Nuwer

Reaction score
You are welcome to send me some water samples, I can do some quick basic testing for you.

Terrific! Do I send them to the Ontario address? Attention anybody in particular?
I truly appreciate your kind offer!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct, Ontario California. Attn. Allan. I like tracking water reports from all overt the world to see what kind of neat stuff we find. I don't have a million dollar water testing lab, but I do have a couple thousand dollars worth of test equipment and can do a fairly decent analysis. I look forward to the water. Please send it in a clean water bottle. Just empty out a sparkletts or similar bottle, not a Gatorade bottle. :)

kish

Reaction score
I have a blue tint in my water and wonder if by any chance it may be coming from the resin in my water softener. It seems to be most prevalent right after a re-generation cycle.
Hi there were you able to figure out what this was? I'm seeing the same issue after a water softener installation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks