Blue flame heater for frozen pipe avoidence

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I've got an 1890 house with dirt floor. The 25 yr old boiler's still working okay down there. We're in the NE and have occasional power outages. We have a propane tank for the gas stove. A friend suggested a propane 30,000 BTU Mr Heater unit T'd off the propane line and set to it's lowest setting. It's free standing and requires no venting according to the manufacturer. Keeps his pipes from freezing.
Is there a major safety issue with this setup? Thanks very much.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Other then depleting the Oxygen in the area and possible fire hazard I see no problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
With adequate precaution it should be fine. I use a propane heater in my drafty VW bus in the winter. The dain bramage has been minimal.

Dirt floor in a Basement or crawl space? 1890's construction will likely allow plenty of oxygen in for combustion as the boiler is probably drawing air from that same space.. OLD wood flashes at 500° ish.. so obviously don't direct the heat source at any structure.

Reaction score
With adequate precaution it should be fine. I use a propane heater in my drafty VW bus in the winter. The dain bramage has been minimal.

Dirt floor in a Basement or crawl space? 1890's construction will likely allow plenty of oxygen in for combustion as the boiler is probably drawing air from that same space.. OLD wood flashes at 500° ish.. so obviously don't direct the heat source at any structure.

Actually, the ceiling height down there isn't bad, 5ft to 6 ft (I'm 6'2" konk), plus there are major air leaks. Also, the heater is blue flame, not radiant, so the heat is disbursed, not directional...I'd it center in an open 10ft x 15ft area.

Reaction score
Other then depleting the Oxygen in the area and possible fire hazard I see no problem

I get why you feel that way and appreciate the thought...but here's what I posted after you read the original:
Actually, the ceiling height down there isn't bad, 5ft to 6 ft (I'm 6'2" konk), plus there are major air leaks. Also, the heater is blue flame, not radiant, so the heat is disbursed, not directional...I'd center in an open 10ft x 15ft area.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An open flame like that will generate a lot of CO2, H2O, and some CO (hopefully, not much - make sure you have a working CO detector!). There will be some (small, if working properly) other smells coming off of it.

If you want to save some money, you should consider trying to air seal things. THen, you'd have to reconsider the best way to make that all work.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another option is an electric space heater.. Plugged into an outlet, not an extension cord.

You've only got to keep it above freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks