Blower Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Edwin West

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The blower in my upstairs AC/Gas Furnace will not turn on. At first I went up there and tested the blower and it would not turn on even if I applied the 120V directly to it. So I replaced the blower and it will now turn on when I apply 120V directly to it. Unfortunately, the control board does not send the 120V to the blower as it should (AKA when the thermostat has fan set to "on".) What is interesting is that if I sit next to the unit and the wife turns the fan from auto to on I can hear a thunk--like a solenoid or something turns on. But still not luck. I checked and the G wire appears to close/open from the thermostat when going toggling auto/on.

I confirmed the transformer is putting out 26V and I see lights on the rest of the unit, so it is getting power.

Do I just replace the control board? It is this one:
https://www.ebay.com/p/St9160b-1050-Honeywell-HQ1012358HW-Furnace-Control-Circuit-Board/1403548067

If I need to replace the board should I go with one up there or the upgraded kind? (https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Honeywell-Replacement-Furnace-Control/dp/B00EFDUGG6)

The unit is 16 year old Heil.

Thanks,

~Paul

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Just be sure that it reads a 120v motor on the label. If you know which wires are power at the motor, disconnect the plug and check for voltage at the plug. If no voltage then it’s the control board. Do not buy any reconditioned or used parts. You’ll find that they test good on the bench but may have intermittent problems.

Some motors are variable speed and the speed is controlled by other wires from the controller to the motor and others are just one speed. Most units now are variable speed because for heating the air flow will be slower than when cooling. You may notice that when the fan is switched to on that it runs at the slower speed. It’s unusual that both the motor and the controller went bad at the same time. As asked above, is there a run or start capacitor?

Look at the wiring diagram on inside of the access panel. It usually will show the wiring to the motor.

In SC there are plenty of HVAC suppliers. That the controll board with youth a supplier and they should have a replacement. The Honeywell generic controller reads for furnace. You need to go to the Honeywell site that it also supports AC operation. Most likely it does.

Last edited:

Paul Edwin West

Reaction score
Yes, I changed the motor capacitor (the new motor came with a capacitor.)

I checked the control board and it is NOT putting out the 120V. I checked the diagram and my downstairs HVAC unit (which is the same unit but higher "tonage") to confirm it.

Thank you for the idea of trying a supplier. I've gotten so wrapped up in using the Internet I forgot about real life... I'll call around tomorrow.

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
HVAC suppliers will have a list of replacement controllers. Most likely it is generic and at the age of your unit, the controller may not be manufactured anymore but there will be replacements. Take a picture of the airhandler plate with the model number so you can show it to the supplier.

Paul Edwin West

Reaction score
Sorry for long wait. I did get the board replaced and it works fine! For others on Internet land, there is a huge $$ difference between buying from a supplier and buying online. Which is sad because I'd rather support suppliers. Although, they are probably making money from contractors.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
When you need the part today, internet doesn’t work. One time I was in a jamb and because the supplier knew me, he was able a scrounge up a fitting I needed for my AC unit that was being installed. I paid the supplier dearly but didn’t have to pay my HVAC guy twice to come back in a few days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks