Blocks under gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

fmwaz

Reaction score
Hello,

I am replacing an old 40 gallon water heater with a new 50 gallon Richmond water heater. The new water heater is larger in diameter and has a flat bottom that sits on the floor. The old one had three legs. The problem that I am running into is that there is a small floor drain (about 3" in diameter) 20.5" from the wall and the water heater is 21 3/4 " in diameter. If I were to raise the water heater up by 2" and leave 2" open in the front, it will fit.

Is there any code violation if I were to put the water heater on a pad made from concrete block?

As an alternative, can it be supported by three blocks (similar to the three legs from the old water heater) or does the entire base need to be supported?

Thank you

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Why not use a water heater stand ?

If it is electric, you can do the pad thing, I would use a Big one that supports the bottom completely.

Good Luck on your project.

fmwaz

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. It is a gas water heater and all the stands that I saw are at least 12" tall. This would cause clearance issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have an instruction sheet for your new water heater? If it does not say you cannot, I would use bricks or patio blocks. I am not a pro.

bricks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see no problem raising the heater. I do it all the time.

Just strap the heater so it doesn't move once installed. Use "water heater straps" only.

Make sure that nothing blocks the heater from "breathing" and it's clear in front of the heater grills and all around it.

fmwaz

Reaction score
I see no problem raising the heater. I do it all the time.

Just strap the heater so it doesn't move once installed. Use "water heater straps" only.

Make sure that nothing blocks the heater from "breathing" and it's clear in front of the heater grills and all around it.

Thank you and Reach4 for the advise. I picked up three 8 x 8 x 2 3/4 concrete pavers and will use those to raise the water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks