Black Stuff Coming Out Of Sink Faucet After Replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Vickie_V

Reaction score
I had my bathroom sink replaced a few months ago.
When he firs turned on the water, it was all black.
After running the water it appeared clear, and continues to appear clear to the naked eye.
But to this day black residue collects in the bottom cracks of the paper cups I use.
This did not happen with the old sink.
I have had ongoing sore throats...is this water safe to drink?
He used these flex lines that I think had oil or something in them...are these lines not meant for drinking water?
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20160504_072413781.jpg
    IMG_20160504_072413781.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_20160504_072425752.jpg
    IMG_20160504_072425752.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 543

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not drink it. If you don't get a similar residue from other faucets, I think your suspicion that these are bad lines is quite warranted. I am not a plumber.

Vickie_V

Reaction score
that goes without saying...I am looking for solutions...I have to brush my teeth/wash...what can be done...if anything?
Are those lines used for appliances?
Would changing them make a difference?
Anyone have an answer?

Reaction score
It can be possible, when you installed it with new supply lines, you may have disturbed the dirts that was already in your stop valve and rough pipes.

You may want to change your stop value to a quality lead-free dahlvalve.

Braided faucet supply lines are popular because they are easy to install and it's all people know of.

I won't mention it for clients unless they insist themselves, but I prefer to use chrome plated copper faucet supply lines, that I do have to cut and bend to shape, but are free of plastics that I do not like in flexibles. Braids also harbor mold, do rust and deteriorate to sharp frays after 10-15 years. Chrome is easy to wipe clean and polish. I have this in my own home.

They are made by Watts and found in all big box stores.
Dahl_211-QG3-31_Quick-Grip_1000502575.jpg
Water_Supply_Lines_Types.jpg

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would remove the faucet aerator and open the hot and the cold to try to flush out the lines. Turn the water on wide open, hang a towel over top if it splashes too much. Then clean or replace the aerator. If you do try to replace the aerator be sure to take the old one to the hardware store so you can find the right one. Sometimes the rubber washer that prevents the aerator from leaking, disintegrates and causes the same problem. Replace the washer if needed. See if any of those things solve your problem. Your aerator may look different from the one in this video, but you'll get the idea:

Last edited:

Vickie_V

Reaction score
thank you for the info on the lines, I will look into getting them replaced.
Not sure about the aerator, as the sink and fixtures were brand new.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Flushing the lines out and cleaning the aerator is free. It could be as simple as that.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There is nothing unusual about the braided supply lines as such. They are essentially the standard for self-installed lines these days. But the situation you are describing does seem odd.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks