Black sticky stuff remover

Users who are viewing this thread

edlentz

Reaction score
About 30 or so years ago my in laws put vinyl tile over a red oak floor. At the time I don't think they did drugs :). They are both gone now and we want to restore the oak floor. The black stuff looks like tar paper but there are lines in it like it was some kind of mastic. What does anyone recommend to soften this stuff? Does anyone remember an adhesive like this? I have about 120 sq Ft to get this stuff off of.

Thanks for any suggestions1

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like regular cutback asphalt adhesive. Two problems...(1).it may contain asbestos. (2) it is removed with Jasco adhesive remover, or mineral spirits. Both are very nasty and would best be done using an air fed respirator, or at a minimum a VOC respirator mask. The mineral spirits are quite flammable, and great care would have to be used in doing a large area. NO PILOT LIGHTS going anywhere, massive fresh air ventilation using fans.

edlentz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jimbo. We can ventilate quite easily. I see that HD carries the Jasco stuff. We'll probably get started tomorrow.

edlentz

Reaction score
We found the Jasco stuff and it is nasty stuff as was said. We also found Desolv-it Professional. This stuff is Citrus based. This stuff is better than the Jasco stuff. It takes a little longer, but it is safe to use anywhere and will just about remove anything.

Thanks for the push in the right direction!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks