Black Specks only in HOT WATER

Users who are viewing this thread

TTN

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have been fighting with this Black Speck issue in my hot water heater for over a year now. Just to give you guys a quick summary, I had a brand new home built in December 2017. After several months, we noticed black oily specks in our hot water. (Cold water runs clear). ALL HOT WATER IN THE WHOLE HOUSE IS AFFECTED.

My plumber has switched out the following:
  • Flex Lines from the hot water heater
  • Lines under the master bath tub
  • Mixing Valve
  • They finally replaced the whole Hot Water heater in January of 2019. This worked for 3 months... and then the black specks came back even worse.
  • They recently changed the Anode Rod last week and drained the Tank. That helped reduce the amount of specks in the water, but it is still present.
We requested that they get the black specks tested, and it came back as "polyethyene-propylene polymer". My Plumber refuses to give me the official lab test results citing "Companies privacy policy", which is ridiculous! I asked them to get the black specks tested and provided them with the water to have it tested! Why would they refuse to give me the official report?

None of my neighbors are experiencing this issue. My Plumbers are blaming the City of Fort Worth for this problem. They are trying to tell me they've done all they could. It is unacceptable!

The brand of my hot water heater is Rheem. Could anyone provide any insight to this problem? As you can see from the picture. This is disgusting!

The hotter I set the dial on my Hot water heater, the worse the black specks become. The hottest i've set the Dial to is an "A"

thumbnail_thumbnail_20190724_235250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
We had the same issues with Brass Craft Black flexible hoses....We installed literally thousands of them from about 2010 through about 2015 and then all of a sudden we started getting calls from a few people telling us about black specks in the hot water...... If you have black hoses connecting the heater to the plumbing system that is probably the issue...

we switched to SS corregated steel connectors and have been changeing out a large number of these black hoses as
we come across them or get a complaint....

https://www.classaction.org/news/ho...ver-defective-sharkbite-push-to-connect-hoses

1501.jpg

mark-braided-hose.jpg

Snoqualmie Falls with Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

TTN

Reaction score
We had the same issues with Brass Craft Black flexible hoses....We installed literally thousands of them from about 2010 through about 2015 and then all of a sudden we started getting calls from a few people telling us about black specks in the hot water...... If you have black hoses connecting the heater to the plumbing system that is probably the issue...

we switched to SS corregated steel connectors and have been changeing out a large number of these black hoses as
we come across them or get a complaint....

View attachment 55141

View attachment 55142

Snoqualmie Falls with Terry Love

Thanks for your response! They recently changed the flex hoses from the hot water heater out... but the water remains the same. I am so frustrated since this issue is is dragging on to its 2nd year real soon!! I am so surprised that no one really knows whats wrong.

Reach4

Reaction score
They recently changed the flex hoses from the hot water heater out... but the water remains the same.
Changed them out with corrugated, or more braided?

You might want to re-flush your WH.
Water heater (WH) flushing can be done different ways. One way is to
1. Turn off the WH water, and put the WH in vacation mode, if it has one. Otherwise off.
2. Open a hot water tap to pass air.
3. Drain the WH completely. Usually you would use a hose to direct the water. (Take a look at the first water; it may be impressive.)
4. Turn the water supply on fully for a few seconds, and turn off. You are trying to cause turbulence to the bottom of the tank.
5. Do steps 3 and 4 several times. If you have a way to monitor the drained water, you could judge by what you are getting out.
6. Turn on the water and expel the air. Close the hot water tap once the air has been expelled and just water is coming out.
7. Turn the WH back on. It is not that critical with gas, but it is important that the water level is above the top element before turning the power to the WH back on.

I am not a pro.

TTN

Reaction score
Changed them out with corrugated, or more braided?

You might want to re-flush your WH.
Water heater (WH) flushing can be done different ways. One way is to
1. Turn off the WH water, and put the WH in vacation mode, if it has one. Otherwise off.
2. Open a hot water tap to pass air.
3. Drain the WH completely. Usually you would use a hose to direct the water. (Take a look at the first water; it may be impressive.)
4. Turn the water supply on fully for a few seconds, and turn off. You are trying to cause turbulence to the bottom of the tank.
5. Do steps 3 and 4 several times. If you have a way to monitor the drained water, you could judge by what you are getting out.
6. Turn on the water and expel the air. Close the hot water tap once the air has been expelled and just water is coming out.
7. Turn the WH back on. It is not that critical with gas, but it is important that the water level is above the top element before turning the power to the WH back on.

I am not a pro.

Hi There,

My plumbers had already replaced the anode rod 2 weeks ago and flushed the Hot Water Heater.... black Specks still present :(

Reach4

Reaction score
Changed flex lines out with corrugated, or more braided?

Reach4

Reaction score
That is corrugated. No rubber liner as you get with braided.

So I don't know what could be causing your new specks. Is the amount increasing at this point, or dropping?

Clean your kitchen and lavatory aerators. That way you can see if those are getting new specks.

TTN

Reaction score

So I don't know what could be causing your new specks. Is the amount increasing at this point, or dropping?

The amount is exactly the same as the 1st picture I posted... It mostly comes out of high flow areas like Bath Tubs, although I know very little are coming out from the sinks in which i Brush my teeth!

Could there possibly be anything in the hot water tank that could cause this? The hotter the water is set, the worse the black specks become.

I need to stress that this only happens in the Hot water.... The cold water is clear and there is nothing in it

TTN

Reaction score

Clean your kitchen and lavatory aerators. That way you can see if those are getting new specks.

I do have 1 more question, you know that large pipe in the center of the hot Water tank? What is that?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You have replaced everything else. How about the thermal expansion tank?

2. It would be a workaround, but there are cartridge filters than can handle hot water.

I do have 1 more question, you know that large pipe in the center of the hot Water tank? What is that?
That is the pipe that sends the gasses from the combustion up the chimney.

TTN

Reaction score
1. You have replaced everything else. How about the thermal expansion tank?

2. It would be a workaround, but there are cartridge filters than can handle hot water.

That is the pipe that sends the gasses from the combustion up the chimney.
Thank you so much for your responses. I appreciate it.

I might request them to change the Hot water tank again... Could there be any possible reason that the tank is the source of the issue?

TTN

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
If there is a check valve (one way valve) on the incoming water, you need one. Many cities are putting those on with the water meter. When water heats, it expands. The thermal expansion tank gives the water a place to go. If you see dribbles from your temperature and pressure release valve on your WH, you need such a tank.

But the main story for this purpose is that you don't have one. So it cannot be the source of the particles.

TTN

Reaction score
If there is a check valve (one way valve) on the incoming water, you need one. Many cities are putting those on with the water meter. When water heats, it expands. The thermal expansion tank gives the water a place to go. If you see dribbles from your temperature and pressure release valve on your WH, you need such a tank.

But the main story for this purpose is that you don't have one. So it cannot be the source of the particles.

Where would the check valve be? I am a complete newby and really am just here for advice on the black specks. I have no knowledge of plumbing whatsoever.

Could you educate me on what pipe feeds water from the City into the Hot Water Tank? I have a mixing valve that you can see in the picture

Reach4

Reaction score
Where would the check valve be? I am a complete newby and really am just here for advice on the black specks. I have no knowledge of plumbing whatsoever.
I would expect it to be by the water meter, or built into the water meter. I have never seen a check valve on a water meter myself. If they change your water meter, ask about that.

Could you educate me on what pipe feeds water from the City into the Hot Water Tank? I have a mixing valve that you can see in the picture
The connector on the left carries hot from the WH and the one on the right carries cold in. The cold side would has a shut-off valve with a red handle. That is not a color code, but the color that valve maker uses.

TTN

Reaction score
I would expect it to be by the water meter, or built into the water meter. I have never seen a check valve on a water meter myself. If they change your water meter, ask about that.

The connector on the left carries hot from the WH and the one on the right carries cold in. The cold side would has a shut-off valve with a red handle. That is not a color code, but the color that valve maker uses.

Thank you for your help. Not many people have responded but you. There could be a defect somewhere. I will definitely come back and update this thread if we ever find a resolution to help others in the future.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Sooo What brand of water heater do you have installed in the home????
If you have had it changed out with the same brand perhaps you ought to
get another brand of heater and see what happens......

It also makes me wonder what they are putting into the city water of your area??
Some kind of chemical reaction has to be going on if everything else has been replaced...

Perhaps you ought to consider renting a whole house water softener for your home to see if
that filters out whatever is causing this....

I think it would be worth the small monthly expense just to
see if that clears up the issue

why not ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks