Black slimy mold / gunk in faucets / aerators

Users who are viewing this thread

miketp

Reaction score
In all of my faucets, there's a black slimy material that accumulates in/near the aerators. It eventually impacts the water stream and I have to move my fingers under the faucet to remove the slimy gunk. I assume it's due to manganese or bacteria.

I'm on city water so I would've thought the added chlorine would kill it. My neighbors haven't complained so I assume it's my pipes/fixtures which are brand new.

Any recommendations to solve? I've read about shock chlorination, but it's typically referenced for wells and I don't know how I would get the chlorine into both my cold and hot water pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've read about shock chlorination, but it's typically referenced for wells and I don't know how I would get the chlorine into both my cold and hot water pipes.

Do you have a whole house cartridge filter?

Do you have a water treatment device?

Reach4

Reaction score
Neither, we're on city water which should be treated appropriately. The water tastes/smells fine.
I asked because a filter housing is a place that bleach solution can be introduced. I think a whole house cartridge filter on city water is a good idea. Even if it is clean after a year, it has served as a quality control thing. If it picks up visible sediment, it has provided an obvious service. There is a backpressure consideration in selecting the filter.

There have been several people reporting that some flex hoses supplying faucets can produce a black slime. I think it is from deterioration of the rubber liner.

You should not get a manganese deposit from chlorinated city water. If it is biologic, a bleach solution would have a big effect on that I would think. You could test some of that material to see if a bleach solution has much effect. I don't know what concentration you would want.

Last edited:

miketp

Reaction score
Assuming it does, how do I add chlorine to the system and in what quantity? If I add to the hot water tank it won't fix the cold water pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. If that bleach had the effect, I would find if my city water is treated with chlorine or chloramine. If chlorine, I would get a sensitive free chlorine test paper to see if there is residual at the faucets. If chloramine, I am not sure about testing.

Here are a few threads that you might find of interest:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/black-particles-in-bath-hot-water-only.49345/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....s-on-dishes-and-flatware-in-dishwasher.68243/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/black-scum-in-bath-and-sinks.3259/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would change out all of the black rubber washers in the aerators and see if it goes away. I have this problem too, but only on old black rubber aerators. When I change to the nitrile or butyl washers it doesn't happen. You can also pull the aerators off and soak them in strong bleach water or run them through the dishwasher if you think you have slime you need to kill.

kiers

Reaction score
Any idea about a supplier for butyl rubber washers? They make great candidates for bibb washers as well!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks