Black pipe fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Edomina

Reaction score
In routing 1/2" black pipe for gas, is it ok to have two fittings together and no nipple between them. For example, can you have a street 90 go into a valve, or a reducer go into valve?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know about IPC but UPC lists approved fittings that may be concealed "fittings such as tees elbows and right left nipples and couplings" other codes list fittings that are cast as being prohibited.
My experience and observation has been bell reducers are ok to use anywhere, bushings ok in un concealed spaces. gas company routinely uses them (bushings) at meter locations.
Been a bit of gray area to me don't know if a street 90 is "cast" or not but had some discussion in past on using for gas I used them many times but uncertain of legality, we used them (street 90s) occasionally on log lighter connections. I never use bushings buried in wall just because of controversy

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about IPC, but there is no reference to bushings or street fittings being prohibited in the UPC. I think Sylvan tho made a good point that with especially street 90's, their inside diameter is diminished. In Seattle I can not use Bushings or Street fittings in my work inside homes.. but the utility routinely uses them on their meters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks