Black Iron Gas Pipe Painting

Users who are viewing this thread

Hallowhead1

Reaction score
Howdy,

I ran a 1" gas line outside to my generator roughly 20' of exposed piping secured to my foundation that I want to paint it to blend in with the foundation. What have you used that's worked well.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
UPC code for gas pipe outdoors is galvanized. I recommend removal and use galvanized pipe and fittings and then paint.
Homeowner to homeowner, "cold galvanizing" paint is a second tier band-aid solution, because it is a marketing term and paint chemistry. It is typically zinc rich. Prime as recommended by mfr. Never a proper choice.

Last edited:

Hallowhead1

Reaction score
UPC code for gas pipe outdoors is galvanized. I recommend removal and use galvanized pipe and fittings and then paint.
Homeowner to homeowner, "cold galvanizing" paint is a second tier band-aid solution, because it is a marketing term and paint chemistry. It is typically zinc rich. Prime as recommended by mfr. Never a proper choice.
I initially read galvanized pipe was not approved in NJ hence why I ran black iron.

I have all intentions to use Rust-Oleum paint to protect the black pipe.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Exterior piping just needs to be protected from rusting. I can't find any requirement in the UPC that exterior needs to be galvanized but I recall that we were not allowed to use it back in the day. We typically use an epoxy coated pipe or paint. Same as what the gas supplier here does when connecting a meter. We paint a battleship gray or whatever color a homeowner provides if they want matchy matchy.

I have seen uncoated black iron completely rust out when installed under a deck that was uncoated in any way.. had been like that for a long time when I randomly ran across it next door to a project I was working at.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galvanized pipe isn't required. Where pipe passes through a foundation or must be protected. Where on the exterior of a building must be painted.

We use paint made to used with metal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks