Black iron gas pipe- How to support between second floor joists without vibration/movement?

Users who are viewing this thread

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
I usually go a little overboard with securing water pipes/drains/etc. I like them well secured and free of movement in any direction. With the recent fiasco with poor gas work in a family members house, they (and I) are now questioning all aspects of round two (full tear out and replacement). One of the only remaining questions is.....

What is the best way to secure new black iron/galvanized gas pipes in an old two story house? On the perimeter, I assume solid mount, metal clamps are best as they don't allow any movement and I figure walls don't move much. What about a long run between (undersized) floor joists of a second floor? Obviously the floor joists will flex with weight/foot steps/washing machines vibrations/etc. Is it still best to solid mount to the side of the second story floor joists or is it best to use metal straps with a loop around the pipe and both sides of the strap to a floor joist (in other words, suspended by pipe strapping)?

Thanks!

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
If you support it there will not be any "vibration or movement".

Not trying to be a smart ass here, honestly....

Undersized floor joists can easily have 3/8- 1/2" downward flexion in the middle of a long floor . A washing machine mounted directly above also makes the floor joists vibrate because...well, old wooden house. Jumping on one part of the floor can be felt 20ft away in the same room...again, old wooden house, wood floors, undersized joists, etc. Its just how they were built. You wouldn't worry about that movement/vibration if mounting the gas pipe directly to it with usual steel two screw pipe straps? Overthinking things here? Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would probably hang it with the metal strapping. The pipe might end up being more rigid than your floor, so the straps would allow the pipe to stay straight without having to flex with the floor. Anchoring it tight to the floor would mean the pipe would have to flex when the floor did.

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
I would probably hang it with the metal strapping. The pipe might end up being more rigid than your floor, so the straps would allow the pipe to stay straight without having to flex with the floor. Anchoring it tight to the floor would mean the pipe would have to flex when the floor did.

Thank you, sir. I like that plan.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Are there state or local requirements written for earthquake zones in CA?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks