Black bits enter toilet after flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

Sailorgirl

Reaction score
I have googled the heck out of what I am experiencing and have found nothing that describes my situation. The bits almost look like algae or bits of seaweed. It is definitely not poop. My tank is clean and clear. If I take a long skinny brush and shove it in the hole in front or back it releases more bits. It's really grossing me out. I have two toilets on the ground floor of my house, I'm on town water. I just tried doing the same thing with the brush on the other toilet and specks came loose (I have never had floaters in this one the way I have on the other one) . What the heck is it and how do I get rid of it? Someone said I have mold in my trap. On both toilets. I'm 63, I've owned many a house with many a toilet, this has never happened.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try slowly dribbling some liquid chlorine bleach down the overflow tube with a funnel.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Our toilet is 40 years in service & I became concerned about mineral build up.
Now I've started doing maintenance every few months as follows:
Pour a pail of water in the bowl which creates a siphon effect to empty the bowl .... remove remaining "cups" of water ... I use a siphon like a baster .... Then I use a funnel like Reach4 suggested to pour the mild 9 percent hydrochloric acid stuff I got online down the overflow tube and let it "stew" for a few hours. I use the whole bottle and add water if needed to fill the trap up.
Initially a lot of "stuff" came out through the bowl channels. I imagine it would eliminate any mold issues as well.

Joe.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks