Bizarre Squealing Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Yimbie

Reaction score
Greetings! I recently moved into a new apartment, and have been dealing with a really unusual, irritating sound that seems to be coming from behind the toilet. I have included some samples of the squealing/groaning noise in question. The noise only appears after a few seconds of sound of water rushing (which you can hear in the video samples). It has been occurring every couple of minutes for several hours at a time. I would deeply appreciate it if anyone may have an idea of what is causing that sound so I may be able to relay it to my landlord, who will hopefully do something about it. I am not certain if my neighbor on the other side of that wall is able to also hear the same sounds as I can, but I will leave him/her a letter tomorrow morning.

It's possible that there might be another bathroom on the other side of the wall. Maybe it's a neighbor's faulty toilet causing the issue? I'm trying to think of all the possibilities of what the water rushing sound + groaning sound could be. It seems really odd that it's occurring every few minutes. My theory is that it could be a neighbor's toilet's valve not closing all the way, which would cause the toilet tank to refill with water (water rushing sound), and then the groaning sound could be the device (I'm not sure the term) that stops the refilling.

Update: I ran into my next door neighbor, and she said she's been hearing the sound since she moved into her apartment in August. There is an identical bathroom right on the other side of the wall (so a toilet would be right where the sound seems to be emanating from). She told me that her toilet seemed fine when she first heard the noise, but isn't 100% sure because she said she has tuned out the noise for a long time. I'm thinking that probably her toilet.

Final Update: It was the neighbor's toilet making the noise. The flapper was not closing all the way, which was causing the toilet to refill every couple minutes, and the noise is coming from the washer or fill valve.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like ol Blue has treed a coon.

It's either a pressure issue or a loose washer in the stop. Maybe a bad fill valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks