Bizarre sporadic dripping from supply hoses (not from threaded side)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rjlonergan

Reaction score
One of the supply line hoses to my bathroom sink, as well as two of the hoses to my washing machine, are dripping on and off, but not from the threaded portion. They drip from the other part, where the length of hose itself attaches to the fitting (see photos). All three of the hoses were purchased brand new. They are all Brasscraft brand. I'm very familiar with the "hand tight plus 1/4 turn" rule of thumb. When I attached them using that method, one of them didn't drip at all, and two did a little bit, so I barely tightened them further (in maybe 1/8 turn increments, a couple of times max) until they appeared to stop.

The washing machine hoses definitely stopped dripping, but today (about a year since hooking them up), they appear to have started dripping again after I cleaned the dust behind the machine. I may have barely grazed a hose with my leg or something, but definitely didn't loosen up the threads. And then, a couple hours after that, and after a few wipes with a paper towel, one of them seems to have stopped dripping again (for now?)

The bathroom sink was just hooked up about a week ago, and that hose will literally drip a drop or two within an hour, but then seemingly stop altogether (for days), and then drip a drop or two, and so on. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. Further tightening doesn't seem to do anything, and removing and reinstalling the hoses without tightening as much doesn't seem to help either. I'm at a loss.

What do you recommend I do in this situation? Aside from maybe trying a different brand or material/design of hose, I'm sort of done with this. I'm very tempted to just shut the water off to remove the pressure, dry the area, and use some kind of sealant there. Are there any product recommendations for doing something like that? A bead of silicone? Polyurethane? I know it is the 'ghetto rig' solution, but I need the drips to stop and I've tried nearly everything. If sealing that area somehow will stop the drips, I'm all for it. Thank you for any information.

Thank you for any information.
0220221429.jpg
0220221431.jpg
0220221432a.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the washer isn't getting completely compressed. This can be deceiving. If the hoses are hanging at an angle they can feel hand tight but then when you straighten the hoses they reveal that they weren't actually close to hand tight.

I wouldn't be afraid to overtighten them at this point, mainly because if they aren't sealing there's something wrong, either they are defective or there's some other out of spec factor.

The only sealant I use is dope on the threads to help them slide. Some might use oil, but petroleum based products don't do on seals.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I never use tape on threads when using a connector. They have their own washers for sealing, and all the tape does, is make it harder to thread the connectors on. Sometimes a strand of tape will lay where the washer is supposed to seal and allow a passageway for the water to leak out. Many of my repairs are done by removing what the homeowner installed, stripping away the tape and then reassembling.

Hand tight and then a bit more? Never heard of that. I make sure they're tight. And I use a six inch crescent wrench on them.

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never use tape on threads when using a connector. They have their own washers for sealing, and all the tape does, is make it harder to thread the connectors on. Sometimes a strand of tape will lay where the washer is supposed to seal and allow a passageway for the water to leak out. Many of my repairs are done by removing what the homeowner installed, stripping away the tape and then reassembling.

Hand tight and then a bit more? Never heard of that. I make sure they're tight. And I use a six inch crescent wrench on them.

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg
You know what's crazy? I totally agree about the tape on these threads. I installed a Moen faucet the other day, and I read the instructions. They indicated to put tape on the threads. Makes no sense. It just makes them harder to seal.

Rjlonergan

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

Terry, what brand of supply hoses are those in that picture, with those thick white washers inside? These Brasscraft ones have a thin black washer inside (thinner than a garden hose washer) and I'm not impressed. I just removed one of the hoses, removed the rubber washer, reseated it, reattached the hose to the threads, and tightened it very, very, very tight. As you can see in these before and after videos, even after tightening it like crazy, water drips freely out if I move the hose around. I think I'm going to bail on this Brasscraft brand for starters. I don't think this is normal behavior, for a hose to leak with the slightest movement when they are as tight as they are.

Noted about the thread seal tape, I'll try removing it, but I expect the same behavior regardless from these hoses.

The laundry center installation guide mentions hand tightening the hoses, plus 1/4 turn. Probably because of the plastic threads? That's always what I've done and have typically had good success with it, with the occasional need to tighten it just a tad more. Had no idea about just tightening with the 6" crescent wrench all the way tight. You still recommend that even with the plastic washer threads? Thanks again for your input.

Rjlonergan

Reaction score
Also, Terry, if my further tinkering is unsuccessful, and I lose my patience with this altogether....

What can I expect to pay for you to come to Woodinville and hook up a few hose connections to a washing machine and a sink?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A hose fitting will only seal with the included rubber washer. Remove the washer, and no seal is possible.
The washing machine hoses will snug up like a garden hose. Those barely need any tightening when the washer is in place.

The lav supplies, I do use a wrench on those.
Toilet supplies, at the stop, but hand tight at the fill valve.

And no tape.

Woodinville is at the end of the street I live on. I service Woodinville.

Rjlonergan

Reaction score
I probably worded my reply poorly. I didn't remove the washer and then attempt to hook the hose back up without one, I meant I attempted to re-seat the washer inside of the fitting, in case it was crooked or not sitting flush, but after removing and re-seating it, reattaching the hose, and tightening a ton, it still leaks. I'm convinced these hoses are no good. I would like to find one like the ones in your picture where they have a nice THICK washer, not this flat thin washer that's in the hose that I have. The ones shown in your included picture are clearly of a much higher quality.

Any idea how much it might cost me if you were to come address this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks