Bizarre pump situation

Users who are viewing this thread

LPGarbage

Reaction score
maybe i'm missing something but

had the well pump switch replaced a few years ago now. supposed to have the lever that bypasses the cut in. flipping that doesn't work well, it does but not always.

so since it did work i realize the pump still works. but it comes on only for a few seconds then cuts off. i tried adjusting the cut in and off but it really hasnt seemed to make a difference.

what i really don't get is that the pressure gauge by the switch reads like 40 psi, the tank reads like 30-32 psi but the tank is seemingly empty as i can just rock is back and forth.

but if i just go to where the water comes into the house from the ground and flip the shut off i have water and i dont seem to be losing pressure.

but i dont hear the pump running and like i said, tank seems like its mostly empty.

so not sure if anyone can help with some ideas as to whats wrong if anything, because like i said i seem to have water but nothing else seems to be working properly. (?)

Reach4

Reaction score
what i really don't get is that the pressure gauge by the switch reads like 40 psi, the tank reads like 30-32 psi but the tank is seemingly empty as i can just rock is back and forth.
Your water pressure gauge may be bad. You can get one that fits onto a garden hose thread to compare against.

When you cut off the pump and release the pressure by opening a faucet, what does the water pressure gauge say, and what does the air pressure measure?

but if i just go to where the water comes into the house from the ground and flip the shut off i have water and i dont seem to be losing pressure.
I don't understand that sentence.

but i dont hear the pump running and like i said, tank seems like its mostly empty.
Is the pump above ground?

If you have a jet pump, you usually want to have the air precharge about 4 psi lower than the cut-on pressure for the switch. The reason is that the jet pump takes a while to deliver water, so the pressure tank must supply the water needs while the pump is getting going. You may have to go even a bit lower precharge if needed.

Does your well sometimes go dry?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
supposed to have the lever that bypasses the cut in. flipping that doesn't work well, it does but not always.
That is how they work. You need to hold it "just so". Years ago when I had one of those "gimmicks", I made up a tool that would slip over the lever and rest against the the cable 20/20 in that "just so" position so that the wife wouldn't have to hold it just so. I gave up on the gimmick and have electronics now to protect the pump.

Pressure gauges often lie like a rug. I have 3 of them in different places since they cannot be trusted. My tank is a HP, so I have one gauge at the top where it only ever sees air.

On a captive air tank, the air pressure would essentially read the same as the water pressure when the pump reaches pressure and shuts off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks