WP_20160823_15_21_04_Pro.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 135

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Of course too much cycling or too many starts per day will destroy a motor. And the larger the motor the quicker cycling will destroy it. I can't wait to see how he is going to fix that problem using a VFD. Of course then all the problems of the VFD can be fixed by replacing it with a Cycle Stop Valve, as I have done 7 times for people just today.

I like this article by Britt Storkson. "Simplicity is hard to build, easy to use, and hard to charge for. Complexity is easy to build, hard to use, and easy to charge for." I am sure he is talking about the complexity of a VFD, but he never uses those words or it would not have gotten printed in a magazine with so many adds for VFD's.
Too much complication.jpg

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Bill Corey "Starts Per Day" Part 2

Attachments

• WP_20160922_10_18_42_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160922_10_18_42_Rich.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 129

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
“I hope this helps you understand a motor’s life is very dependent on how many starts you put it through.”

“Option #3 is a VFD. Sure there is going to be some costs, but it is much more doable.”

I guessed that one right on the money. :)

"Option #1 is to increase the number of tanks by three. That is also a very costly and messy way to fix the problem.”

See even pump manufacturers no longer recommend just adding more pressure tanks to fix the problem.

Option #4 should have been to use a simple and inexpensive Cycle Stop Valve, as it would give the same or better performance as the VFD without all the added complications. There are CSV’s on thousands of greenhouse type systems doing just that. But the CSV would have also taken out all the “added costs” and made the pump/motor last several times longer than the VFD. So while pump companies want you to think they are working on new technologies (VFD) that will “fix” the problems, they really don’t want to solve ALL the problems. Option #4 would have been much better for the end user, option #3 is best for the pump manufacturer.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 50HP will do about 1000 GPM at 50 PSI. The larger the pump the worse for cycling damage. But it doesn't matter what size the pump is.....

"a motor’s life is very dependent on how many starts you put it through.”

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks