"Big picture" of Kinetico process available?

Users who are viewing this thread

dadkind

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a Kinetico Model 30 on my well-water system.

Recently, it stopped regenerating (I let it run out of salt and I think that started things going wrong). Or I should say that I finally realized that it had stopped regenerating. I'd added salt to the tank a while ago.

There were a host of problems including getting some "gunk" in the dial on top of the mechanism on top of the tank. I've removed the head after finding the youtube video showing how to remove the head and I've re-installed it.

But I'm not really sure I understand how the process works. For example, when / how does the brine tank come into the picture?

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how the system works? (I'm new to the forum and I haven't found any "stickys" on the subject, if they exist). Again, just a big picture version on how things work.

Thanks,
-tomas

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt you will find a "big picture" of the system and how it works, but it works, in general, the same as any other softener. The valve has 2 sets of gears (regen side & meter side). The meter side turns the meter disc and initiates a regen and regen side carries it through a regen. So if it's not activating a regen by itself, the meter side may be at fault. If it starts a regen but will not finish it, it regen side my be at fault. I have an exploded view (breakdown) of the parts. Send me an email and I'll send you the breakdown.

dadkind

Reaction score
OK. That actually helps.

Can I use the dials on top to see if the meter is working? I know that when I manually regenerate the system there is a small tiny "dot" that moves indicating the state of regeneration (I think).

But how do I know if the metering side (inlet side) gears are working? Is one of the dials supposed to move?

Thanks!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you turn on the water inside the house and watch the no back pawl. It should ride up one tooth and drop down into the slot of the next every 12.5 gallons. If it does this, than the unit is metering. I have seen a lot of times the meter turbine gears are stripped causing the unit not to meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks