Big Mistake!! help

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Probably but do NOT use it until it is tested for safe operation. The line could ONLY receive 120 volts, unless there was an EXTREME failure inside the house.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably but do NOT use it until it is tested for safe operation. The line could ONLY receive 120 volts, unless there was an EXTREME failure inside the house.
Every appliance in the house got fried. Any braided supply lines touching metal got fried and bursted. The ground wire melted and caught and started a fire. Transformers blew. There was 240 to the water lines. Someone messed up hooking up a transformer to the house

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every appliance in the house got fried. Any braided supply lines touching metal got fried and bursted. The ground wire melted and caught and started a fire. Transformers blew. There was 240 to the water lines. Someone messed up hooking up a transformer to the house
So I'm thinking the tank got 240 to. If the tank did the gas valve did

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to understand WHAT 240v is. I do not know how it could have gotten into the plumbing system because the wiring is SELDOM connected DIRECTLY to the piping, except through the ground wire, and that, by definition, is attached to the GROUND/EARTH.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to understand WHAT 240v is. I do not know how it could have gotten into the plumbing system because the wiring is SELDOM connected DIRECTLY to the piping, except through the ground wire, and that, by definition, is attached to the GROUND/EARTH.
The ground wire was attached to the copper water line. The main ground and live wire was wired wrong.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's my understanding that metalic water pipes should be bonded to ground, but not be THE grounding source. As HJ said, wiring one leg of the transformer to the ground should only have 120vac potential IF a proper ground was installed at the entrance (usually, ground rod(s)).

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what exactly is being asked here. There was an electrical accident, and some stuff got burned up. Check. Presumably
that is now cleared? If not, then it is unsafe to touch anything in that house until it is. There's no indication that the gas valve on the water heater was damaged, and there's really no reason to think it was affected in any way. Gas lines are not necessarily connected to any system ground,
and water heater connections typically insulate the heater from the water pipes anyway. I would just try the valve and see how it works. Of
course, I would be aware of where the house gas meter shutoff valve was. Just in case.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what exactly is being asked here. There was an electrical accident, and some stuff got burned up. Check. Presumably
that is now cleared? If not, then it is unsafe to touch anything in that house until it is. There's no indication that the gas valve on the water heater was damaged, and there's really no reason to think it was affected in any way. Gas lines are not necessarily connected to any system ground,
and water heater connections typically insulate the heater from the water pipes anyway. I would just try the valve and see how it works. Of
course, I would be aware of where the house gas meter shutoff valve was. Just in case.
240volts got transfered to the water lines. The gas hot water tank is all metal. Therefore the gas valve would of got 240 volts to. The neighbors gas hot water tank wouldn't fire up either. That house got fried to

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks