Bewildered with tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

George Daniels

Reaction score
I have a malfunctioning diverter spout which I removed, to reveal this. All the slip-on spouts I've found seem to want 1/2 copper pipe. Thoughts on what I need to do here? Many thanks.

57336-a8977cac82d00b135f86d2e7ae079336.jpg

Last edited:

George Daniels

Reaction score
Thanks you so much. Much appreciated. Will this slip right on with the Allen set screw, or will it require some sort of adaptation?

George Daniels

Reaction score
How about a picture of the spout you pulled off to make sure?

Thanks so much. Here you go. The diverter side is obviously injured. Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_7600.jpg
    IMG_7600.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 161

George Daniels

Reaction score
So -- I got the Delta 5834, but it adapts to an O-ring adapter (the one that comes with it) that is meaningfully LARGER than the one I have. See below. What are the standard sizes of these? I can't seem to find a resource. All help appreciated.

IMG_4403.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How does the adapter you have connect? It looks by the scratches on it that it threads on. If so, I would unthread the old one and thread on the new adapter.
If it's copper in the wall it may be tricky though. Galvanized or brass nipple should be fine though.

The new spout will show the distance specs allowable too.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited:

George Daniels

Reaction score
So, when I screw on the new adapter, and make it tight, the threads for the spout end up being behind the tile. Are there spouts that adapt to this adapter that just use a set screw?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The back of the adapter needs to be at least 1/2 out from the wall. What do you have coming out of the wall? Copper or a pipe nipple?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF that pipe in the wall is a nipple (i.e., a piece of pipe threaded on each end), then, you should be able to unscrew it, buy one long enough, screw that in, and go for it.

You MIGHT be able to get a close nipple and a coupler to extend what you have and stay within the min/max limits for the new spout to work. A close nipple is essentially a short piece of pipe that is threaded on both ends.
close nipple.jpg
coupler.jpg

George Daniels

Reaction score
IF that pipe in the wall is a nipple (i.e., a piece of pipe threaded on each end), then, you should be able to unscrew it, buy one long enough, screw that in, and go for it.

You MIGHT be able to get a close nipple and a coupler to extend what you have and stay within the min/max limits for the new spout to work. A close nipple is essentially a short piece of pipe that is threaded on both ends.View attachment 62503 View attachment 62504

What's in the wall is 1/2 copper with threads. The reason I say "in" is because it does not extend beyond the wall. So, I did very much what you recommended. See below. Coupler, plus nipple, plus adapter (from Delta spout). The trouble now is that when I screw on the spout, it finishes turning about 1.5" from the wall.

IMG_1283.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sorry this is turning out so frustrating.
The delta adapter needs to be closer to the wall and it may be that the coupling you have is too big in diameter for the Delta spout to thread in and over that.

Another option is to pick up a spout that uses an iron pipe and using the coupling there, find the correct nipple length to make that one work.
Not my favorite one to use, but one that could be done.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF it can't thread on far enough because it is hitting the edge of that coupler, then, you may need to find one closer to what I posted that is machined on the outside as well, and is thinner rather than being cast. Otherwise, you may just need to try to find a nipple the right length and use a screw-on spout.

I think the instructions say the spout should fit if the back of the adapter is between 1.5" and 1/2" from the tile. It looks like it's close to the max, and if so, should get much further on than ending up 1.5" from the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks