Beware of drain cleaning products when snaking a kitchen drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He was unclogging a drain and in seconds his hand started melting, posting this to warn all the plumbers out there to always ask your customer if they put any drain cleaning products down the drain before snaking anything.

Plumbers have been hit by strike and other sulfuric acid products as well as heavy bases. No fun. Always assume the customer used chemical. Bring litmus strips and baking soda to neutralize acids

Always wear rubber gloves under leather gloves and eye protection....
Most customers will lie to your face and swear that they have not used anything as there is a couple of bottles in the top of the trash

drain-cleaning-product-skin-damage.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A drain cleaner I used to subcontract work to asked the lady if she used chemicals. She said no and he splashed his eyes and was blinded.

I testified against her and he did win a lot of money but it was not worth his loss of eyesight

WEAR gloves and eye protection

royalflush001

Reaction score
What?? I always knew drain cleaners are corrosive. But to this extent, totally unknown to me! Be aware plumber friends!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Crystal Drano
According to the National Institutes of Health's Household Products Database, the crystal form is composed of: Sodium hydroxide (lye), NaOH. Sodium nitrate, NaNO. Sodium chloride (salt), NaCl.

When you have a clogged drain and you're in need of a quick fix, it might be tempting to turn to a chemical drain cleaner. Here's the problem: Chemical drain cleaners, such as caustic cleaners (containing caustic soda or lye), are bad for your pipes and your health.Feb 21, 2020

I testified against these off-the-shelf chemicals. Even Hercules Clobber or Sizzle states "professional use only"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks