Better Toilet for Hard Water/Iron Conditions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Treeman

Reaction score
This is at the shop where I work. The water is 33 gpg hardness and about 1ppm ferrous iron that stains bad. After 50 years of no softener, I doubt that is an option. Super Iron Out and/or use of a 25% phosphoric acid cleaner is required weekly.

Is there a better toilet design or brand that will handle the cleaning chemicals and/or mineral build up? Our vintage 50 year old Kohler Wellworth is getting a bit rough on the edges.

For instance, when I look at the TOTO Drake, I am concerned that the "depression" in the bowl ceramic at the water line might just be a place for minerals to hang up and require more cleaning vs. a smoother bowl.
TOTO-CST744SG01-Drake-2-Piece-Toilet-2-293x300.png
722503_mld_bowl_cleanse.jpg

EDIT: Also forgot to ask if porcelain type or finish would matter regarding harsh cleansers. Someone might squirt 25% acid cleaner in and/or iron out and let it sit over the weekend. Difficult to idiot proof toilet maintenance.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The II series has a much smoother bowl finish that is easier to keep clean.
Also the standard height Drake, CST744SG or CST744EG has that same finish.

I find that a liquid bowl cleaner and plastic bristle brush works fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks