Better option for main septic plumbing drain coming through basement concrete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thekid1

Reaction score
So I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing about this apartment build, but there is a couple of walls that I left open around the barhroom before I finally decide on the plumbing location and bathroom layout.

As you can see in the photos, I have an apartment on 1 half of the basement. All the other utilities are moved to my side so I have complete access without disturbing Tennant. The only issue I have is this main sewer line that they ran right smack in the middle of the basement when they built the house in 2000. This kind of screws up my plans and I had to work around it to come up with a layout which is inconvenient. Despite the minimal need to service the main trap, I still do not want it to be inaccessible and certainly not have to bother Tennant to access either. So as you can see in the plans, I came up with two layouts to work around it and utilized the same space to place the submersible sewage pump for service. The main line exits through the concrete and out to a septic tank. From there, another pipe goes to cesspool.

I guess in the best case scenario, it would be nice to have had this main sewage line enter through the wall on my far side of the basement like all the other utilities, so it wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't have to take space away from the apartment and box around it. So I guess my question is, is there anything I can do or not seeing before I settle and finally build the walls around it? Or a way to clean up the pipe mess in that area and have it look neater?

20221002_124702.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-131648_Floor Plan Creator.jpg
Screenshot_20221002-131707_Floor Plan Creator.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Well I'm no plumber but two comments. The wash drain is an S trap, not allowed anywhere and the CI trap are not needed anymore but OK to leave. I know the million of home built on LI during the 1950's all had them.

Thekid1

Reaction score
Well I'm no plumber but two comments. The wash drain is an S trap, not allowed anywhere and the CI trap are not needed anymore but OK to leave. I know the million of home built on LI during the 1950's all had them.
Yea that's not the apartment laundry. I threw that in there for a quick temporary drain for my washer that would be permanently exposed until moved.

What is the "CI" trap you mention?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the "CI" trap you mention?
CI = Cast Iron. Its the whole house trap. We don't see them anywhere on the west coast but one plumber thinks that is due to our politicians being corrupt. Its basically an obstruction to the flow of waste.

Thekid1

Reaction score
Lol. Yea maybe the cast iron company stopped giving Gavin Newsom kickbacks. God they make a disaster out of every city they touch, just like here in NY.

Anyway, so am I screwed with the plumbing situation here?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure the relation between the cast iron industry and gavin newsom. Cast iron has never made anything a disaster. Lack of building regulations made a disaster of NY and other major cities and is why we have building codes now.

The plumbing you have now looks fine with the exception of the S-Trap which you already plan to eliminate. It looks like your building drains leave in a closet that houses a sump, so not sure how you could change that to eek out any more square inches or if its worth it. Likely all of that plumbing could be consolidated slightly more close to the concrete wall with some creativity.

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like you have enough pipe to put a sanitary tee onto, and then feed the new standpipe and p-trap into that. Also figure out better pipe supports.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 87
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks