Best way to tackle odd shower drain rough-in location

Users who are viewing this thread

ihasamoose

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm back for more advice.

At the moment, I have a roughed in drain that is 17 1/8 x 18 inches to the center of my drain, from my studs.

I'm having a world of trouble trying to find a square/neo-angle/rounded stall in the vicinity of being about 36x36 inches in size.

I currently have dricore panels installed in the bathroom, but I could tear them out if needed. I'm looking at getting a custom base built right now to fit, is there a better way to do this without pounding out all my foundation concrete?

Here's a photo:
aAMngkK.jpg

Thank you all in advance, once again.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
So there is a concrete slab under the plywood? I'm not seeing the problem here, just move the drain.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
There are endless styles and sizes. Go to big box stores on-line and choose whatever you like. The stores themselves stock very few models. Get the base, mark the drain location and start cutting concrete. You won't find a 36" base with anywhere near the location you have. Is there a trap in that drain?

ihasamoose

Reaction score
So there is a concrete slab under the plywood? I'm not seeing the problem here, just move the drain.

Yes, there is. "just move the drain", aka pull up concrete and relocate?

There are endless styles and sizes. Go to big box stores on-line and choose whatever you like. The stores themselves stock very few models. Get the base, mark the drain location and start cutting concrete. You won't find a 36" base with anywhere near the location you have. Is there a trap in that drain?

There may be below the concrete, I'm not sure as I haven't torn it up.

My best bet I suppose would be just pulling up concrete and moving where the drain actually should be, then?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It isn't really all that hard to build your own shower pan with deck mud...then, you can make it any size and shape you want with the drain where you want it.

There are lots of ways to build a shower shown in the TCNA handbook (the industry bible), but my preference is to use a sheet membrane and make the whole thing actually waterproof rather than just the pan. One site with lots of videos is www.schluter.com. There are other systems that work as well, but they have the best videos to get an idea about what I'm referring to.

If you want a premade pan, you don't usually have a lot of options but to have your drain exactly where they call for it. There are some companies that will custom make one for you, but the cost is a lot more than making one out of deck mud yourself.

Check out www.johnbridge.com on building a shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks