Best way to install cleanouts

Users who are viewing this thread

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any solid advice on installing cleanouts. I am plumbing an upstairs kitchen and bath and most drains are coming down an exterior wall. My thoughts were to install the cleanouts in the basement. Because of the exterior wall a cleanout at a wye is pretty much out of the question. :confused:Any thoughts?????????

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If your stacks run behind cabinetry, did you think about using an inline tee cleanout and have it facing into the cabinet cavity and cut a hole in the cabinet? But yes, installing a cleanout in the basement would be fine. Generally you want one at the bottom of a stack since most times you can snake a line above form a fixture if need be.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanouts

Vertical pipes seldom, if ever, get obstructed, so the only place a cleanout makes any sense is just before, or after, it turns into a horizontal pipe, and that usually means they are just above the basement or first floor elevations.

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. If I install the cleanouts in the basement on a horizontal run do I put the cleanout on top of the pipe, to the side or below. Common sense tells me the top, but that would be hard in the real world. I would think.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
co

You put them in whichever direction access is the easiest, but I would never install them on the bottom. And if they are on the bottom and I have to snake your drain YOU will have to remove the plug for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks