Best way to handle Lav drain for remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Shelbycobra427

Reaction score
I'm on the home stretch of a small powder room remodel and would love some feedback from the pros here on the proper way to handle my lav drain.

I was originally planning on cutting out the brass elbow and a section of the copper drain and replacing it with PVC and a solvent welded trap adapter (copper to PVC done with a banded Fernco).

Now I'm not so sure that's the best approach. Would it be better to:

1.) Wrench off the corroded chrome trap arm and try to clean up and re-use the existing trap adapter
2.) Stick with the original plan and replace with PVC?

If I go the PVC route, what's the proper way to support the new PVC 90 elbow? If I re-use the brass, what's the best way to transition to plastic for the trap?

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 229
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 230

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the sizing there.
If what you have is 1-1/4" you may be better off removing the slip joint nut and trap, buying a new slip joint nut and p-trap.
If it's 1-1/2" you would also have the option of changing to PVC with a transition coupling, copper to plastic.

Shelbycobra427

Reaction score
It depends on the sizing there.
If what you have is 1-1/4" you may be better off removing the slip joint nut and trap, buying a new slip joint nut and p-trap.
If it's 1-1/2" you would also have the option of changing to PVC with a transition coupling, copper to plastic.

The whole trap is going for sure. I believe the threads on the trap side of the adapter are 1 1/4", but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to do it right. Should I just stick with brass 1 1/4" or replace the trap adapter with a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" one?

Shelbycobra427

Reaction score
If the trap arm is 1-1/4", then that's what you have. I can't tell from the picture.
Thanks, Terry. I appreciate the help. I'm almost certain the trap arm is 1-1/4", but I'll verify when I look later. I know the brass 90 and copper waste line are 1-1/2".

Final question: Should I stick with a metal (chromed brass) trap arm (1-1/4") or would a plastic one be better? I plan on being in the house for a while and it seems like every time I have to work on a trap, it's corroded as heck (could just be that the house is 45 years old and much of the stuff is original).

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Spinning off the nut and taking it to a store will determine what size it is. Plastic traps last plenty long. They cost less and they don't deteriorate.

Shelbycobra427

Reaction score
Plastic it is. I'm sure the trap is 1 1/4"....I took it all apart last night.

Should I use a regular plastic wedge washer where the new plastic trap arm enters the wall?

The one that came out had what looked to be a compression nut on it. I haven't seen anything like that for plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2891_1.jpg
    IMG_2891_1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 190
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks