Best way to find sewer smell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stuff

Reaction score
A friend of mine is getting a smell maybe once a week at the top of her basement stairs. She thought it was natural gas so didn't worry about it. :rolleyes: I've told her to get a real plumber out but she's reluctant as she can't see anything broke and the smell goes away. So my goal isn't to tear things apart and fix but give a big nudge.

I took a quick look and smelled something but didn't see anything obvious. Smell at top/mid of steps, not at bottom. It is an older house with a remodeled bathroom and I can see several cast iron to PVC rubber couplings without the stainless steel band. Other than following my nose what do people do to find the leak?

Or is it most likely the toilet needs re-seated?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is a post I found that may be useful.

Peppermint test. That brings back some old memories. Not sure how you did it but we would put peppermint extract into a bucket of hot water and pour it into the system. The person that poured it in had to stay out of the building because he smelled of peppermint for the rest of the day.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks