Best way to drywall 8'2" ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

exmechanic

Reaction score
I am going to drywall a hallway/laundry room. The problem is that the room is 8ft 2in in length which means an 8 foot sheet of drywall will not completely cover the walls or ceiling. Is there a "best way" to peice the drywall together to make up for the 2in gap? in other words, is it best to just install the 8 ft sheet then add a 2 in strip to the end? Or is it better to make the joint more toward the middle of the room?

Thanks for any help.

jfkopper

Reaction score
Put the 2 inch strip at the bottom ...

Push the sheetrock to the ceiling, so that the 2 inch gap is at the bottom. Fill the gap with a strip of sheetrock and tape the joint in the usual way, but cover (as in "hide") the joint with the baseboard---typically at least 4in tall.

Be safe,
/kop

Prashster

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd do as jfkoper suggests. BUT, I'd add another 2x4 on top of the existing floor plate so the 8' sheet has a nailing surface on the bottom edge.

I think it's a requirement that every sheet of dwall has to be properly supported on all edges.

10' sheets are proper but are harder to come by, more expensive, and will probably mean a good deal of waste.

Def DON'T put the seam in the middle.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Good suggestions about high ceiling, BUT, I think this poster is only trying to deal with a wall LENGTH of 8'2".

Any vertical seam will possibly be noticeable, which I think is why they install the walls horizontally, to minimze vertical seams.

For a few exta bucks, if you can get 10 footers or even 12 footers delivered, and just suck up the waste, that would be worth it.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
The few extra bucks for longer sheets, will pay for themselves on saved labour.

Definitely DON'T leave 1" at each end, unless you live in an area with no fire codes, and know how to plaster.

TedL

Reaction score
Definitely use 10' or longer sheets. Where I live, the cost per foot is the same whether in 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16' lengths.

What lengths are the other walls? Lengths up to 16' are standard, so it may make sense to buy 16 footers if the other walls are, say, 7'6". A couple weeks ago I bought 12 footers to do a room with walls a little over 6' and a little more under 6'. Brought my measurements and cut them before loading...much more manageable.

D.Smith

Reaction score
Lot of waste buying 10fters. Place the 2inches at bottom and baseboard over it. Its a laundry room/hallway. Very little light penetration will make it almost impossible to see any seams.

Ps How about lowering the drop ceiling if its in bsmt?

Edit I missed read that.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
All the concern about waste is rather trivial considering this is just one relatively small area being rocked. Now I would concede that if this was bidding for a large construction job the cost could multiply and amount to major dollars, but on as small project, the added cost will be quite small and should be worth the savings in filling in a small space, especially on a ceiling.

exmechanic

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. For clarification, I was referring to the length of the room and not the height. I guess the title was misleading. It was my mistake. From all your responses, I think I will use the longer length sheetrock. It seems the best solution for a little extra cost and less taping and plastering.

This is a great forum for trading ideas. Thanks for all the replies.

Rich

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks