Best way to double up wax rings

Users who are viewing this thread

Mart

Reaction score
When doubling up Oatey toilet wax rings, is it better to put the one with the sleeve into the flange first and the second unsleeved ring on top, or the reverse, with the bare wax ring placed on the flange first and the sleeved ring on top, closest to the bowl?

Silly question, no doubt, but I’ve seen both methods recommended on You Tube and just want to confirm which way’s best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Terry puts plain ring down, and then puts the horned ring on top of that.
90220-2.jpg

two_wax_rings_wood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mart

Reaction score
Should have also added, is it best to place the sleeved ring directly against the toilet discharge and then on top of the second wax ring placed directly on the flange, or better to put both rings on the flange first and the toilet on top?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't use horned rings ever. Can't find a purpose for them.

When i need to stack wax, its usually only a half extra. I cut one in half with a large sharp knife and stack it on top of the whole wax, then mold them together to ensure they're one single piece.. not too crazy, but enough that I know there are no gaps.

And always always always rings on the flange.. set the bowl on top of that.. manufactures instructions are dumb to think of placing a wax on the bowl with gravity acting against it.. just dumb.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Great basic tips! Don't trust a wax sticking to the w/c . I like extra long bolts that way the wax doesn't get damaged trying to get the bowl over the bolts and cut off to length adds to expense but worth convenience to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks