Best way to clean kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom2rn

Reaction score
I noticed my kitchen sink doesn't drain as well as it should. I have cleaned both P traps and all the other pipes under the two sinks so I know those don't affect this. It's a 25' run under the house (2" pipe). I did go under and try to auger with a small hand held auger yesterday without much success. The clean out is about halfway down the run and that is where I used the auger. I can feel slime on the bottom of the pipe when I put my fingers in. There is so much I cannot hear water run down the drain when someone runs the water in the sink. Best way to clean this line? I'm thinking hydro jetting since the auger didn't seem to be very effective. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Drain lines clogs under a kitchen often happen where the vertical fall changes to horizontal.

So I think you have a cleanout in the crawl space. Is this cleanout on the vertical with a cap that unscrews horizontally, or is the access tilted down at 45 degrees?

Any chance you could run a medium Brasscraft drain bladder in to pressurize that pipe and blow out the debris that way?

I cut out a section under my kitchen sink one time, and used the open end to admit a drain bladder. Then I put the section back with a couple flex couplers. It should have been shielded couplers, but I was unaware of those back then.

Tom2rn

Reaction score
My clean out is about midway down the line and tilted at 45 degrees. I don't have enough water pressure to do an effective cleaning since I'm on a well. I did think maybe I would stuff a rag in the clean out then fill the pipe up with vinegar and baking soda and let her sit. This would cleanse the upper part where I think most of the problem is. I don't think it would harm my septic. I think it would be a tough fit for the bladder. By my calculations, it would take 4.1 gallons of vinegar to fill my 2" i.d. pipe X 25 feet. 21 ounces per 12 inch pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
A drain bladder goes on the end of a garden hose. It swells up to seal.

You don't have to get the drain bladder all of the way to the clog to help. You would have to get a fair amount of it down enough that it can swell and pressurize the area below the cleanout wye.

Maybe a small would swell enough to seal.

I expect 40 psi could usually break through a clog.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And this is way I hire out jobs that need snaking or jetting. I don't have the proper equipment for that.
I do like to use the bio-clean products that break down the grease in the line. If your line isn't draining though, you will need some effort put into it though with some sort of tool.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
How are you doing Terry??

We used to clean out drains all the time when I was a kid with a Rigid K-50 sewer machine..

it usually turns into a stinkey nasty mess and you slop it all over yourself and the kitchen floor too
if you dont know what you are doing.... .

These days we are too busy to fool with this kind of work so
I refer this work to a couple of guys who like to smell like to work in smelly shit all day long
and they normally do the job for about $195.....

normally you need at least a 50 to 75 foot long cable depending on the run to the main sewer.

you really should just pay someone to do it..

1658789625950.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Mark,
Yes, paying someone to bring their equipment over and also do the work..........that's what Mark and I do. At least for snaking drains.

Start Chemo on Friday.

GL77

Reaction score
If you have easy access to the pipe, why not cut that section out and just replace it. Start fresh.

Terry, wishing you all the best.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I happen to have a lil general 3/8 snake x 75 foot. I've had it for 30 years acquired when I dissolved a partnership we only used it for customer service in our new home business I might use it 3 times a year I have another smaller 1/4 inch x25 on a drill that I bought at H.F. and its not great but I used it 4 times in last 2 years.
Drain cleaning in my opinion is a specialty that you need to go all in or stay clear I'm very picky what I take I'll try to take care of my own property and some customers. Also its a business of 49 dollar calls , a lot of upselling , and a game I don't really want to play. but there is a lot to know to stay safe and avoid damage , and lawsuits , there is money to be made just an area I avoid So I'm with Terry and Mark to recommend a drain cleaning company.
That said you may want to DIY as I would consider depending on many factors. drain bladder is a cheap try it could blow apart a joint , you could try a" clog hog " or rent a better machine.
A major reason I DIY is I don't like bringing in outside help . First off when you don't know a company you don't know if your getting competent or if they are a rip off joint . I just don't want to deal with them that's why I do all my own work I just don't trust the jiffy lube on my car or even the dealer my truck when new under warranty I must have taken in 5 times for transmission leaks finally they decided to pull transmission and swap all my parts into a brand new case. I got truck back drove home crawled underneath I found bolts that were just loose by hand ready to fall out. So I don't trust a shop working on my cars either. These are reasons I DIY

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks