Best Way to Attach Flange to Lead Riser

Users who are viewing this thread

Philwgreen

Reaction score
In the middle of a bathroom renovation. There is a lead riser with PVC closet bend below the slab that has been cut flush with the tile floor. However, the tile guys tiled directly up to the riser leaving no room to get the brass flange on.

This is a lead riser in a concrete slab so removing the lead is not possible. What are my options?

Do I need to chip out enough tile to set the flange over the riser? If so, how do I seal the brass to the lead?

Is there another way to work with what is already there? The floor is level all around - although it does raise up (maybe 3/16 on the left side where it meets the riser.

IMG_8182 copy.jpg

IMG_8183 copy.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Very easy fix

Chip a little around the Lead pipe exposing the outer part a and then CLEAN,., CLEAN.CLEAN it until it is bright remove all the oxidation and dirt then get a deep brass floor flange and clean the inside of it

Get a bar of 50 /50 solder and heat the brass flange carefully as you apply the alloy

Just make sure you have the lead on the inside of the flange tight as possible

The reason for the extra deep it allows for a mistake in case you use to much heat and make a hole in the lead pipe

SG14097__54030.1499629069.jpg

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. The soldering part scares me a little bit - I don't have any room for error.

Very easy fix

Chip a little around the Lead pipe exposing the outer part a and then CLEAN,., CLEAN.CLEAN it until it is bright remove all the oxidation and dirt then get a deep brass floor flange and clean the inside of it

Get a bar of 50 /50 solder and heat the brass flange carefully as you apply the alloy

Just make sure you have the lead on the inside of the flange tight as possible

The reason for the extra deep it allows for a mistake in case you use to much heat and make a hole in the lead pipe

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Managed to chip away tile and thin set and got the brass flange to sit flush. It's not a deep flange so it currently only has about 1/4 overlap with the brass. I'll look for a deep flange.

Is there anyway to avoid the soldering? Any other ways to seal it after peening over the brass?

IMG_8184.jpg
IMG_8185.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Soldering/lead wiping had worked for over 2,000 years why try to change something that has a proven track record

The flange you have fits perfectly just clean the outside of the lead and the inside of the flange and solder away

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Will do. Soldering copper has never been an issue for me - but I've never soldered lead to brass before. Just afraid of melting the lead and then having a major issue with the lead riser in a slab.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Solder normally melts at a lower temperature then lead (lead wiping for example)

The main thing is to heat the brass playing with the feather of the flame allowing the brass to become hot enough to allow the alloy to flow.

Bar solder makes it a lot easier

Lead melts around 620 degrees and 60/40 Sn-Pb, melts at 370 deg F

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Make sure it is clean BRIGHT and use plenty of noncorrosive flux

If your comfortable using a soldering copper as we used in lieu of a torch then it maybe safer for you

Tin the soldering copper and heat it and use it to melt the solder filling the gap between the lead and brass

d5e3cdaded88a104ada050bece601704_e8b9e5e1-4dae-434f-84e6-e62497ac8285_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks