Best washing machine shutoffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

tom-rad

Reaction score
I just tried to fix an old washing machine fill valve (gate valve) with leak at the packing - didn't work out.
Two questions - one, I bought a hose bib from Lowe's (American Valve #14087). The angle of the hose connection is closer to 45 degree, more straight than downward like the old one. Is this ok to use for laundry hookup?
Two, what is a recommended replacement brand, Nibco? I don't mind the extra expense, just want high quality ball valves. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might want to consider some ball valves. It's a little easier if you get a unit that has one lever to control both ports. I have one similar to this, but mine is older, and the lever goes left-right verses up-down. This one is available at HD, but there are others similar.
washing machine shutoff.jpg

tom-rad

Reaction score
Thanks, but what I have is older work, need to use separate hot and cold. Don't want to replace pipe, just the one valve. No box, this has fittings mounted to a piece of wood on the basement wall, and the fittings are not next to each other. The hot is lower.
I wondered if I can use this standard hose bib, didn't know if it matters what angle the washer hoses connect. The old one is more straight down, but this new one is maybe 60 degrees? More straight.

Flapper

Reaction score
Boiler drain or standard hose bibb sounds ideal. Washing machine valve may also work.

Boiler Drain: 611918008622.jpgBall Boiler Drain: 611918051482.jpg
Standard Hose Bibb: 611918008363.jpg Ball Standard Hose Bibb:c0828754-888b-4fbd-813c-4fcdbfcd7150_1.24807365eeca61dedd8cf89a317b7af0.jpeg
Washing Machine Valve:611918018072.jpgBall Washing Machine Valve: 611918101699.jpg

Flapper

Reaction score
You want ball valve right?
Lowe's doesn't seem to have a ball valve hose bibb of the standard style, only the 'no-kink' style, so the image I posted is of the one they sell at THD.
The ball washing machine valve is designed to mount in a box, I think.

If you're going to Lowe's, I think your best option is this:
AMERICAN VALVE 1/2-in Male Brass Boiler Drain Valve
Item # 248918 Model # M75QT 1/2-IN
30616-d71558b14d434a4e25d2b693fb328c04.jpg

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I used separate Oatey quarter-turn ball valves and have been happy with them. I bought the whole setup including the box, even though I didn't use it.

My wife and I actually do shut off the valves when we are not actually using the WM. Having good-quality ball valves makes it much easier to do so.

Flapper

Reaction score
I have one similar to this, but mine is older, and the lever goes left-right verses up-down.
Probably a Simmons valve; I don't like those things and I think they are stupid. I've seen them replaced many times so they seem to fail a lot, and they are really expensive.
Symmons-W500B-14477__00217.jpg

The one you talk about, is avaliable at THD (or a similar one) and it's $26 so that's more reasonable; equivalent to two $12 valves.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...al-Washing-Machine-Valve-VWMDUAF3EB/205812092
2abb3702-367f-4908-a302-fd56799a4594_400.jpg

But meh, I think I don't really like single handle valves and I'd rather have two separate valves; cheaper, simpler, more robust... And I'd use braided stainless steel hoses because the rubber hoses are silly because you're supposed to change them every 5 years because they tend to pop. :rolleyes:

tom-rad

Reaction score
Do I need a specific valve for hot water? Looking at a BK 103-053HN quarter turn. Looks nice, Teflon ball valve.

Flapper

Reaction score
Do I need a specific valve for hot water? Looking at a BK 103-053HN quarter turn. Looks nice, Teflon ball valve.
Nope, all the types of valves mentioned have been used with washing machines, both hot and cold, many times with no issues, including by professionals.
Your choice is ideal.

Last edited:

Margarett

Reaction score
Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but my plumber recently replaced my washing machine garden hose style/gate valves (which were very old and hard to turn) with ones that look just like these: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-HBM075-NP-3-4-Male-x-Hose-Bibb#product-overview
I don't know if they are the same ones (they don't have any raised numbers on the side like mine do) but I couldn't find any others on the internet that looked like these. I contacted the company and was told that that hose bib is rated to 80 PSI. Is that high enough to be used for a washing machine? Thanks so much!

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
Should be just fine. I've seen those used many times. Your house pressure shouldn't be above 80 psi anyway.

Margarett

Reaction score
Should be just fine. I've seen those used many times. Your house pressure shouldn't be above 80 psi anyway.
Thanks Storm rider! Hope those are the ones the plumber used and if not, that they are at least 80 as well.

Margarett

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I don't have a box; the pipes for cold and hot are not close together. After I got these valves replaced, I had wanted to start turning the water off after each time I did a laundry. Will that cause water hammer?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I don't have a box; the pipes for cold and hot are not close together. After I got these valves replaced, I had wanted to start turning the water off after each time I did a laundry. Will that cause water hammer?
As I understand it, water hammer is caused by an abrupt change in flow rate. Since you'd typically be operating these valves when there's no flow (before or after the washing machine cycle), there would be no water hammer from your manual operation. But the washing machine valves open and close very quickly, so the normal operation of a washing machine causes water hammer.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Our code requires the arrestors . So it wouldn't be crazy to add them even though you aren't technically required to if your just changing a bib . Its not always a problem but easier on the water piping system

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks