Best toilet for someone who creates frequent clogs requiring a plunger?

Users who are viewing this thread

HomeSlicer

Reaction score
Clogging and plunging a toilet is a frequent problem for me. I can't seem to avoid it. I have narrowed down my search to the following toilets:

American Standard Champion 4 (1.6 GPF) TOTO Ultramax (1.6 GPF) TOTO Ultramax 2 (1.28 GPF) TOTO Aquia (.9/1.6 GPF)

One would assume that the higher GPF would mean less clogging, but one can never make assumptions in the magical world of toilets.

Please let me know which one of these will clog the least often.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It somewhat depends on why the existing toilet is clogging. Some older ones are just plain dogs. If there's a medical issue where the deposit is extra long and hard, it may be none of those would work well for you.

Personally, unless you're in that 1% or so that has a medical issue, they'd all probably work, but I prefer the QA/QC of the Toto brand over AS as you're more likely to get one without any defects. FWIW, the difference between the 1.6 and 1.28g designs is more a better calibrated fill/flush valve that doesn't waste water verses actually using more, at least on the Toto line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I recently pulled three Champion toilets for a customer and replaced them with Ultramax II toilets.
They had TOTO before, but had heard that Consumer Reports liked Champion. Well............they tried the Champions and then tossed them all.
TOTO flushes better.

But like Jim mentioned, if you are in the 1% with medical issues, then something like the Caroma brand with a 3" trapway.

Mliu

Reaction score
I keep hearing about "medical issues" resulting in long hard stools. Calling it a "medical issue" makes it sound like a disease or other unhealthy condition. I realize this isn't a medical forum, but I'm curious if this is actually a problem or if it's just a natural variation in physiology that causes these types of toilet-clogging stools.

HomeSlicer

Reaction score
Is the Ultramax 2 really a better flusher and clogs less often than the original 1.6 GPF Ultramax? Is Ultramax 2 the best flusher / least cloggable toilet out there?

Mliu

Reaction score
Is the Ultramax 2 really a better flusher and clogs less often than the original 1.6 GPF Ultramax? Is Ultramax 2 the best flusher / least cloggable toilet out there?
Read all of Terry's post. Caroma toilets with 3" trapways are the "least cloggable" toilets currently available. There's a video of testers flushing Russet potatoes through a Caroma.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some medications can change bathroom habits. I get calls about this often. For 99% of the people out there, stools are 4" long and 3/4" in diameter. If what you have is much larger than that, and trust me, you would know, then many of the toilets that I consider fantastic would not work.

Mliu

Reaction score
I've never had any problems with my stools. But my young child (now 12) has been frequently clogging various toilets for years. No medications. I have asked her pediatrician about her hard stools, and the doctor just tells us to increase her dietary fiber. That has never really resolved the issue.

I'm just wondering if some people have an unusual, yet healthy, digestive tract that causes these types of stools.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I keep hearing about "medical issues" resulting in long hard stools. Calling it a "medical issue" makes it sound like a disease or other unhealthy condition. I realize this isn't a medical forum, but I'm curious if this is actually a problem or if it's just a natural variation in physiology that causes these types of toilet-clogging stools.
For some people, it's a diet thing, for some, the nerves and muscles don't move things along well, and therefore, stuff sits in the large intestine for much longer than normal, and as a result, more moisture gets extracted, making things harder and often longer. Yes, it's a medical issue, but it can have more than one cause. It's real. Could be nerve damage from an injury or surgery, or disease. A diet sparse on roughage can make things harder, too, as well as not being well hydrated.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
We need a doctor on staff. Personally, I've had some problems for most of my life with certain issues, but my current wife put me on a regimen of herbs that fixed most of my difficulties, and I'm not having the discomforts now that I used to have.

She ran a couple of herb shops for several years and knew what to put me on to make things work out for me. This is not waving crystals over my abdomen or any cannabis inspired hippie shit.

The IBS is gone, the diverticulitis is gone, I only break wind in private, now, no rectal bleeding, and so on. Hope I'm not sharing too much. I'm willing to sacrifice my self respect if it's helpful to someone else.

Oh, those 5"x 3/4" turds are a joke. I'm talking 16" x 1.75 minimum on herbs.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Most diets do not get enough roughage, and the quantity of fluids may affect things. The other medical issues tend to result from nerve damage so that the muscles don't move things along as reliably. This allows the stuff to sit in the gut longer while more and more accumulates and water is sucked back out of it. IT's all a matter of timing and what you put in. You can affect what's put in, the rest is dependent on your body dynamics. Similar thing to skid marks in the bowl...diet will affect that as well.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most diets do not get enough roughage, and the quantity of fluids may affect things. The other medical issues tend to result from nerve damage so that the muscles don't move things along as reliably. This allows the stuff to sit in the gut longer while more and more accumulates and water is sucked back out of it. IT's all a matter of timing and what you put in. You can affect what's put in, the rest is dependent on your body dynamics. Similar thing to skid marks in the bowl...diet will affect that as well.
Guess I'll put them leftovers back in the fridge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks