Best Toilet for Large BMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Update: The Vormax while it hasn't clogged is not that great of a toilet. The flush does resemble a TOTO, but the dual flapper design is quite terrible it constantly snags and hangs up requiring human intervention. I am thinking of replacing my Vormax with a Cimarron. I have spent my share of time with american standard and the fill valves seem to go quickly. It is possible that my 6.4 GPG hardness helped with early failure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I am thinking of replacing my Vormax with a Cimarron. I have spent my share of time with american standard and the fill valves seem to go quickly. It is possible that my 6.4 GPG hardness helped with early failure.

Neither the Vormax or the Cimarron are recommended for large BM's.
Caroma makes toilets with large 3" trapways and Kohler has their pressure assist Highline, not to be confused with their gravity Highline.
If you are in the 80%, then there are other toilets that work, including the Cimarron. Just not for large BM's.

Last edited:

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Neither the Vormax or the Cimarron are recommended for large BM's.
Caroma makes toilet with large 3" trapways and Kohler has their pressure assist Highline, not to be confused with their gravity Highline.
If you are in the 80%, then there are other toilets work, including the Cimarron. Just not for large BM's.

Terry,

My mistake that is what I meant for non large BM's. I was responding to my earlier post about the Vormax.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To major things that determine if you can get a long, hard stool to flush:
- no sharp bends in the pathway
- a large diameter path

If you look at the side of many supposedly well respected company's toilets, you'll see that the path of the outlet is not particularly smooth and many of them try to turn a 90-degree, sharp corner at their exit. Everything can work okay with 'normal' people's dumps, but not when it is hard and long. There, the above factors are the prime asset that allows them to perform.

A pressure assisted toilet can work sometimes since that high pressure jet can literally tear apart some of those stools which means they are no longer 'long', but are still hard, and have a good chance of being able to get by the curves. That high speed jet can cause splashes and leave smaller particles floating in the bowl sometimes, meaning you may want to flush again to clear things. Plus, they're noisy, not necessarily something you might want to use in the middle of the night.

RHinNorCal

Reaction score
Thanks to both Terry and Jim. I was hoping for an educated guess about which of the "majors", if any, would have an advantage in this situation: Toto Acquia, Toto Maris, Kohler Veil. I suppose I should also be asking if there is a "winner" on this score between the Geberit and Toto in-wall tank systems? The photos make it look like the Toto has a straighter discharge path than the Geberit - if true, would this matter?

Styopa

Reaction score
Fwiw, your house may impact your choice as well.
We live in a 1907 American Foursquare where the plumbing was installed post-construction. Our plumber, an old guy who serviced this home decades before we bought it in 1992, eventually praised our choice of the pressure-assisted (he was not...enthused about it at first)...he said in his opinion the house was built with the idea that 3,4,5+ gallons would be carrying debris down the pipes, and that with the new low flow toilets the pressure assist is helping to keep the pipes clear downstream.
So while clearing the bowl is obviously an immediate problem, avoiding having a plumber come in to snake your main lines every few years is also something to keep in mind.

Also, with our 4 kids in their late teens/20s, waking to someone moving around downstairs at 2 am is calmed by the *whoosh* of the pressure toilet...I doubt burglars are bold enough to take a dump while committing a crime. I hope so anyway....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks to both Terry and Jim. I was hoping for an educated guess about which of the "majors", if any, would have an advantage in this situation: Toto Acquia, Toto Maris, Kohler Veil. I suppose I should also be asking if there is a "winner" on this score between the Geberit and Toto in-wall tank systems? The photos make it look like the Toto has a straighter discharge path than the Geberit - if true, would this matter?

None of those you listed above would work for the question above. Large, means large.
The toilets in your list are for average.

Patricia M

Reaction score
My daughter has the same problem. She clogs every toilet with nearly every BM. We always get a visit from the hotel "engineer" while traveling. Any idea if any of those Caroma toilets will work with a Toto Washlet (round C200 or S300e)? I'm also wondering if anyone knows which would be low seats. ADA/Universal height is too tall for me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you're looking for Washlet and bidet seats, it's best to go with an elongated one for space, as the water heating parts take up some space on their own.
For a tall bowl, you can pick up a a small lift for the feet. Squatty Potty is made for that.

poop-like.jpg

Squatty Potty

Patricia M

Reaction score
Oh yes, I have two of those already. :) Even on a low toilet I need it.

I already have the two round washlets that I will be moving to the new place. I find elongated seats very uncomfortable as they cut into my legs. Did I mention that I'm short?

Thanks for your help! Your site is an awesome resource!

Tim427

Reaction score
This may help others... I bought the Kohler pressure assist for my 1st house based on suggestions from this forum. I am totally happy with it. Made the plunger obsolete. At the time I bought the Kohler, I was single with no kids. The noise didn't bother me. BMs the size of Loui vill slugers go down with ease.

In my girlfriends house she has El cheapo toilets and they get stopped up about once a week. She doesn't like the noise of the Kohler in my house. It looks like I'm going to have to go with Carmona and just deal with the cleaning.

Tim427

Reaction score
Tim427 are you sitting in a Cobra?
A factory five replica of the 60s Cobra.

Dart block bored and stroked to 427 cubic inches. 492 hp, 512 tq, engine was built by Fortes out in MA. Car weighs 2,200 lbs. Tremmic tko 600 tranny, 8.8 ford rear end with 3:55 gears. Tubular control arms all around. Built most of it myself. Had help from friends Mike, Dave and Paul.

Had it up to 148mph (won't say where) before the front end started to feel light. The car is extremely quick. Even with sticky, wide tires I can break the rear loose at 90mph.

Last edited:

James Bullock

Reaction score
although I got a chuckle out of the title of this thread, this is actually an issue that is not as uncommon as some might think :D

I'm so pleased to find this thread.

Longstanding Problem:

(The efficiency experts all want to cite how many golf balls or whatever... they need to measure with Polish kielbasy [yes, that's the plural of kielbasa].)

Our yoga center; rest rooms have total nine toilets. People here are into healthy diets, high fiber and ruffage, not much animal protein. Result is generous extrusions (largest maybe 2 1/2" x 15", no exaggeration) which create a continual maintenance headache and burning sinuses.

My surmise is that the problem is (a) the size and curve of the trap and then, assuming the kielbasa can get beyond that, (b) the smallest diameter from there to wherever it's going. (Is that reasonable?) The toilets under $300 (x 9, Yikes) I've checked out online at Home Depot, Lowes, and plumbing supply houses have traps max 2 3/8". I've looked at macerators, but the trap is still the limitation.

Suggestions other than relocation?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Caroma line seems to be about the only ones generally available that I've seen that have a 3" trapway. Guess, it may end up being the initial cost to buy versus the ongoing maintenance to overcome the other toilets' less than stellar capabilities for this situation. You might want to just try one and see what the results are, then make your decision on the rest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks