Best Toilet for Large BMs

Users who are viewing this thread

ImTinkerbell

Spreading pixie dust from coast to coast
Reaction score
First you want to find out where you live. Then go to http://www.caromausa.com/where_to_buy/find_a_local_distributor.php

Ha ha! Even though my profile says I live somewhere over Never, Neverland, the reality is that the nearest distributor -- as I previously mentioned -- is 165 miles away (one way)... a bit too far of a road trip for me.

However, thank you for the moment of amusement. Lately I've felt like I need to pin a note with my address to my clothing... all part of the fun of moving during middle age. :/

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Call the distributor and see if they have any people they deal with closer to you. Worst case, see if they'll ship you one. I'm sure trucks make it to your small town...

ImTinkerbell

Spreading pixie dust from coast to coast
Reaction score
Call the distributor and see if they have any people they deal with closer to you. Worst case, see if they'll ship you one. I'm sure trucks make it to your small town...

Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

I just recently had a pressure-assist toilet shipped for another of my bathrooms, and the first shipment arrived damaged. I understand this isn't uncommon when shipping toilets... especially if one has ever seen the way UPS handles many of their boxes. **eye roll**

BlueMoon

Reaction score
If your son is in the 1% or so with a medical problem and produces long, hard stools, probably the best toilet for that is made by Caroma which has the largest trapway of any readily available toilet. Don't confuse flapper valve size with trapway size. It's not only the diameter of the trapway that makes a difference, it's how it is shaped. Toilets that try to make sharp turns are very tough on longer, harder inputs! The Toto line has a much nicer pathway than most out there.

Do not confuse suggested list prices with actual street prices on Toto toilets. For a fair estimate of what is a good price, check out Terry's storefront. While he does not sell outside of his area (he does not ship), you can use that as a negotiation price locally. Many models that work quite well from Toto are a lot less than that $500 pricetag.

I just got a Toto Drake online at Home Depot for $262, shipped right to my house. There were less expensive models there too.

rick k

Reaction score
Wanted to give you an update. I installed a Caroma Sydney Smart II in the boys bathroom and moved the previously installed Toto Drake II to the master bathroom. After 4 weeks of use the Caroma has not plugged. Our old toilets would have plugged 12-16 times in that time frame. Other than the small surface area and more cleaning needed, the Caroma has more than delivered on my expectations.
A bargain for what I've been dealing with.

sydney_305_6.jpg

http://www.caromausa.com/products/index/cu_products/107.php

Thanks for all the guidance. I would highly recommend the Caroma toilet for large, hard, long, non-bending BMs. The toilet has been stress tested by my son and preformed exceptionally well.

Last edited by a moderator:

PacificOcean203

Reaction score
Dear Terry and All,
I write with some desperation. I had a very serious clog problem over Thanksgiving. No amount of plunging worked; never happened in my life! Since it was a holiday, plumbers were very hard to come back. But, it took a plumber and an auger the next day to unravel it. Harrowing holiday I must say. The toilet in question is actually a Toto Cyclone II. I got it when I moved in in February after reading great reviews about it. Unfortunately/regrettably, I am one of those 1% with a medical problem - tried many therapies and diets but to no avail; anyways, that's for a different forum. I am therefore very glad to stumble upon this forum. I think I am sold on the CAROMA SYDNEY SMART 305 (big trapway). I am going to replace the TOTO with it. One-piece vs. two-piece, is there a difference in performance? I guess all I care about is that everything must flush and without any aggravation. Thanks so much for your kind attention. I look forward to your kind advice. Tony
P/s I called a few places in the New York area for dealers of Caroma but don't seem to have much success. I would appreciate any information you may in this regard. Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is my first choice for those with a medical condition that makes for large stools.
The trapway on the Caroma Sydney Smart 305 is 3"
Most other toilets use a 2" or smaller trapway.

sydney_305_el_1.jpg

Caroma Sydney Smart 305 EL
Elongated

sydney_305_rf_1.jpg

Caroma Sydney Smart 305 RF
Round Front

sydney_smart_305_inside_tank.jpg

Inside the tank.

sydney_smart_305_2.jpg

Caroma Sydney Smart 305 Elongated.

Last edited:

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
I would personally go with a pressure assisted toilet in your situation; however the Optum Vormax hasn't failed me yet from American Standard and has a 10 year parts warranty.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would personally go with a pressure assisted toilet in your situation; however the Optum Vormax hasn't failed me yet from American Standard and has a 10 year parts warranty.

The American Standard Optum Vormax with 2" trapway would plug right up in this situation. I've had to pull plenty of toilets with a trapway like the Vormax for these people. We're talking about those on medications that change the bodily functions. A standard toilet doesn't cut it.

The Caroma Sydney Smart 305 has a 3" trapway.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The key to flushing a long log is a large diameter trapway with very smooth, gradual curves. If you let that log sit in the water to soften, then you might have a chance at flushing it down on some of those other toilets, but not if you don't. Seems, everyone wants it to go away right away! A pressure assist might shred some of one, but it only lasts a very short time, and might still leave a good portion sitting there. It also is likely to shred some of the TP, and that doesn't always flush super well, either. Not counting that they are noisy. I'll take a good gravity flush toilet any day. By no means are all of them out there good, though. And few are optimized for those with this medical condition.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
The American Standard Optum Vormax with 2" trapway would plug right up in this situation. I've had to pull plenty of toilets with a trapway like the Vormax for these people. We're talking about those on medications that change the bodily functions. A standard toilet doesn't cut it.

The Caroma Sydney Smart 305 has a 3" trapway.
Yes I can understand that,

Davee1

Reaction score
regarding those who are finding it difficult to find a nearby distributor of Caroma toilets.....
I too found it impossible to find a distributor using the Caroma site. There was only 3 near me, I called all 3 and they didnt carry the Caromas!!!
So I used the "find a manufacture's Rep" function on the site
http://www.caromausa.com/where_to_buy/find_a_manufacturers_rep.php
I called the manufacturer's Rep listed for my area. She was very helpful and gave me a whole different bunch of distributors that werent listed on the site. Using her info...I was able to score a Caroma Sydney Smart II in just 2 days.
I installed said Caroma toilet and while yes, there is not much water in the bowl...the "twin waterfalls flushing action" and the large 3" trapway are impressive. We have not plugged up our Caroma toilet yet...and it would have already happened with the old toilet we had installed.
I'm sold on Caroma toilets. Awesome!!!!!

Davee1

Reaction score
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESOwyMAf-mk

and for your entertainment..the above link will enable you to watch russett potatoes being flushed successfully in a Caroma toilet!!!!!!!
Meant for demonstration purposes only...please dont do this...just watch the video and then know that these toilets can successfully flush large BMs.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Watch russett potatoes being flushed successfully in a Caroma toilet!!!!!!!

They will do that, but when the potatos get to the pump stations, it's going to cause problems there. Just saying. I know people that have to go down into the pits to fix things like that.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I used the "find a manufacture's Rep" function on the site
http://www.caromausa.com/where_to_buy/find_a_manufacturers_rep.php
I called the manufacturer's Rep listed for my area. She was very helpful and gave me a whole different bunch of distributors that werent listed on the site.

Calling the manufacturer's rep is an excellent suggestion. She may know about plumbing supply places that she ships to that aren't showrooms. Showrooms are normally who is listed on manufacturer's web sites, and they are often expensive.

For example, in NYC, Richmond Tile and Bath on Staten Island carries Caroma, but it's a high-end 12,000-foot showroom with all sorts of schwanky stuff. But there's a guy, Goodman Sales, in North Arlington, NJ that's a rep. I would probably call him first. He has an 80,000 sq ft warehouse, and delivers with his own trucks to NYC and Long Island every Tuesday (and on other weekdays to other parts of his territory). He probably can give you the name of a couple of local plumbing supply places that he delivers to weekly, and you can order through them if you can't order through him.

Last edited:

Davee1

Reaction score
They will do that, but when the potatos get to the pump stations, it's going to cause problems there. Just saying. I know people that have to go down into the pits to fix things like that.

Whoops...was meant kind of as a demonstration that Caroma Toilets can pass big BMs without clogging. Please, no one should actually flush potatoes down a toilet, or anything else besides paper/BMs.

CloggedUp

Reaction score
What about getting parts for the Caroma Sydney 305? Are those special order from Caroma or would my local distributor have them? I'm guessing my local Home Depot/Lowes wouldn't have anything.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What about getting parts for the Caroma Sydney 305? Are those special order from Caroma or would my local distributor have them? I'm guessing my local Home Depot/Lowes wouldn't have anything.

There are parts for them online. The home centers don't have the parts yet. That being said, I almost never get calls about parts for them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks