Best Toilet for Large BMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
James, start at the beginning. I have answered this question many times on this thread, many times on the phone, and solved this many times in people's homes.

sydney_305_el_1.jpg

Caroma Sydney Smart 305

caroma_305_horn.jpg

3" trapway

Last edited:

stefanie mackenzie

Reaction score
I’m so pleased to find this forum. I’m in Florida and am having to order the Caroma from someone online. I’m tired of having plumbers in or someone to clean up the mess at all hours. Hope this solves my problem. It’s so embarrassing and frustrating for a woman. I find the price reasonable, if it solves the problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m so pleased to find this forum. I’m in Florida and am having to order the Caroma from someone online. I’m tired of having plumbers in or someone to clean up the mess at all hours. Hope this solves my problem. It’s so embarrassing and frustrating for a woman. I find the price reasonable, if it solves the problem.
If the blockage is in the toilet, the big trapway should solve it would I think. If the blockage forms in the pipe that follows, then a big trapway should not help.

You did not describe the mess. 1.6 gpm or less flush toilets will not overflow the rim in one flush.

Shirley Chambers

Reaction score
James,
I would not buy a TOTO for large stools.

Either Caroma or the pressure assist Kohler Higline with 1.6
Terry, the Caroma site doesn't list trap size in its specs. Do all Caromas have a 3" trap? I'm trying to figure out how to choose. Is there a reason folks are mentioning the Sydney 305 as opposed to the others?

S.Sue

Reaction score
The smallest Caroma trap I've seen is 3". The Sydney Smart 305 works well. Pretty much a standard 2-piece with an easy installation.
We just ordered the Caroma Sdyney 305. Wonder the Next by Danco All-in-One installation kit would work with the Caroma? Is the Caroma common enough that any plumber will be able to help us with the installation? This is to replace a Kohler Wellworth. Thank you.

EagleOne

Reaction score
Excellent resource people. Terry thanks for pointing me to the Caroma and the pressurized Kohler. I thought that the best was supposed to be the AS Champion because online review articles always touted it. It seems like online journalism, especially product reviews, has collapsed into search engine optimization and junky reviews by non-experts trying to make money from affiliate links to Amazon and other stores.

What about Woodbridge toilets? I see them a lot in reviews of the best "no clog" toilets, but it's not clear why Woodbridge is being selected by those reviewers – incredibly, they don't actually mention any no clog features or explain their choices.

Last thing. What is all this talk about people who need good toilets having "medical conditions" or being 1% of the population? I've never needed a medical condition to clog a toilet. Also, anyone who is big is going to have problems with a lot of toilets. I don't mean fat, though they'll have issues too. I just mean men who are, say, 6' 3" and up, especially the big athletic types with lots of muscle mass and therefore lots of calorie intake. For instance, imagine a football player who is 6' 6" and 300 lbs. You think he's going to have normal sized deposits? No way. And of course there are lots of men bigger than that, behemoths. Toilets are way too small right now.

Humans are somewhat larger than they were when these toilet size standards and norms were established. American men are two inches taller than a century ago. Japanese men are six inches taller, with similar gains in South Korea (but not North Korea). Everything should be bigger now, including toilets, cars, etc. I'm only barely above average height as a 5' 10½" male, 200 lbs, and I clog our double flush toilets all the time. You wouldn't believe the size of the monsters I'm producing – more than a foot long, easily more than two inches girth. It's a total Randy Marsh situation. I can't be much of an outlier given that there are lots of much, much bigger men out there. This isn't generally going to be a "medical issue". I just don't think most toilets are designed for the renaissance man of today.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normal is 4" long by 3/4" thick.
I'm bigger than you and that's pretty much right for most of us. Maybe longer, but not wider.
In your case I would avoid the Champion and the Woodbridge.

And by the way, I have sold and installed thousands of toilets.
I understand what you're saying, and I've heard it many times.

Reactions: Kyd

Thor

Reaction score
So Caroma #1, Kohler w/ pressure #2, what would you recommend as a third choice if I want something not so loud near the bedrooms? I think I'll put the Kohler in the bathroom near the garage, so there's always a "super toilet" in the house. Are there any "regular" toilets that are suited for occasional large logs, but not Caroma level?

Apparently, pain medications after surgery can cause this, so it can be an occasional, not chronic problem. But sure wish I had a Caroma after hubby's back surgery! IIRC, I used a popsicle stick to cut up the baseball turd (TMI lol), which may have even been too big for the Caroma!

Thanks Terry for this great source of info. Never realized this was such a common problem!

Kyd

Reaction score
Hello,
My husband has Alzheimer's and we suddenly have problems with clogged toilet. He has large, hard stools and I'm tired of finding ways to unclog the toilet. We are in Canada and it seems that Caroma toilets are the best way to go.Is it best to have the toilet be a glazed model? Also, it seems most
of the Caroma toilets are low water 1.28 and I thought we needed toilet with more water in the flush.
We are in Canada so these toilets are hard to find buy I found a website we I can purchase locally Caroma toilet.Any advice on which model to buy of Caroma.I'm close to 80 years old and too old to be dealing with clogged toilets so we want to buy the best one that isn't too expensive.I'm not spending 1000 dollars for a toilet.Any advise on which of the toilets in the below link is best for large, hard stools?
https://yorktaps.ca/toilets/caroma-...MI9-f-oNDr8wIVvGxvBB02LQ5aEAMYAiAAEgKHzfD_BwE

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Lately I've done the Sydney Smart II in both the one-piece and the two piece versions.
1.28 GPF, but if you hold the button down, you can get as much water as you want. They have the biggest trapway out there. I notice some places in Canada that I like going have been switching to Caroma.

Kyd

Reaction score
Lately I've done the Sydney Smart II in both the one-piece and the two piece versions.
1.28 GPF, but if you hold the button down, you can get as much water as you want. They have the biggest trapway out there. I notice some places in Canada that I like going have been switching to Caroma.
Any suggestions of which Caroma toilet on the yorktaps.ca link that I put would be best?I've read that Caroma toilets get dirty quickly for some reason but not sure why?I'm a senior so also not looking to clean the toilet more that twice a week.Is it best to get a model that is glazed?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've sold thousands of toilets. Some of those for special needs. Any Caroma will work for large BM's. That was the main question right? Your husband plugs the toilet.
If you want a toilet that needs less cleaning but plugs every time it's used, then most anything else will work.
And when I say the Caroma may need more cleaning than some of the others, it's not that different that I would purposely choose a toilet that plugs every time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some bidet attachments pre-mist the bowl to reduce stuff sticking.

There are sprayers that can assist in cleaning both you and the bowl.

And maybe you could bring in a cleaning person once per week to help. It may be time.

Kyd

Reaction score
A toilet that doesn't clog is the most important thing.Unclogging the toilet at this point is driving me completely crazy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All of the Caroma toilets have the 3" trapway. Your choice is the height, maybe color, and whether it is one-piece or two pieces. Because the one-piece has fewer pieces, it's easier to clean on the outside, but the bowl shape is essentially the same.

Your link went to the cart, which shows up as empty...so, it didn't indicate which model you're interested in.

Kyd

Reaction score
Hi , the link was the
Caroma Sydney Smart II Easy Height Round Front Plus
which is on sale. I've heard that some models have 4" trapways but not sure which ones they are?I'm thinking maybe best to get the 4" trapway
to side on caution.Not sure which models are glazed as well as read those are better for aiding in removing the waste.
The other one on sale is the "Sydney Smart II One Piece Toilet Single Flush".
I don't care about color or height my husband will just have to adjust.He is not a tall man so don't think height is important.
Not sure if they still make 4"trapways as they don't mention anything in the links that I found on canadian websites or which models they would be.
I just want peace of mind after buying the toilet and have to upgrade soon after buying.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks