Best Toilet available from Home Depot or Lowe's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Whitlow

Reaction score
What's the Best Toilet available from Home Depot or Lowe's?
I've been considering the Kohler Cimmaron, American Standard Vormax, and maybe even the Delta Turner or American Standard Cadet 3. I know American Standard quality has had issues, but the Vormax seems pretty good flushwise.

Whitlow

Reaction score
HD has Totos. Made in Georgia, too.
Well they only have TOTO at Home Depot and it looks like in comfort height only the Toto Drake 1.6gpf and the Toto Drake Eco 1.28gpf.
The AS Vormax at HD gets good reviews, but not so good over at Lowe's slow close seat at HD seems only difference. The Vormax looks really nice, but the two flap mechanism and standard old tank connection with 3 bolts seems like a good way to have a leak. ;-)
I started out thinking Kohler Cimmaron, but it gets about 4 stars.
Delta Turner and one I never heard of Niagara both get about 5 stars.
The new Toto's I saw mentioned here somewhere are about the same price range but not sold at HD.
As Cadet is a choice for using standard parts and 3 inch flapper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any plumbing shop can get any Toto you desire. They may not stock Totos, they can order them. Check prices at several shops, they can vary. No one charges MSRP. The models you mention at HD are excellent, so maybe you might just want to consider one of them.

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
I ordered a Toto Entrada through Home Depot online, to be picked up at my local store. Only issue: When I went to pick it up my order info was stuck on a light fixture instead of the toilet bowl! They're reshipping the correct part so hopefully it will be in soon so I can finish my bathroom project. Already threw the old toilet away.

Edit: Finally got my toilet and it's installed. I'm happy as I can now finish up the rest of my bathroom work I was waiting on the toilet for.

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
What's the Best Toilet available from Home Depot or Lowe's?
I've been considering the Kohler Cimmaron, American Standard Vormax, and maybe even the Delta Turner or American Standard Cadet 3. I know American Standard quality has had issues, but the Vormax seems pretty good flushwise.
The $99 AquaSource at Lowe's is excellent. I know this from my own use. I also have installed a half dozen or so for friends and family members and all are extremely pleased. It is ADA height with an elongated bowl in white. It's available in biscuit for $165. The same toilet in a standard height round bowl model is branded Project Source at Lowe's and is $88 in white. In this case, you definitely get more than your money's worth.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
The $99 AquaSource at Lowe's is excellent. I know this from my own use... In this case, you definitely get more than your money's worth.

+2
Installed two in my house as well. These are fantastic. I agree... You get more than your money's worth.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Off the shelf at Lowes or Home Depot, I'm thinking something like the Cadet 3 and many of the Kohler products with the Aqua Piston.
The Vormax looks like a lot of work to keep up with two flappers.
I've installed the Niagara and that works well too.
I don't like Glacier Bay.
Sometimes people buy the low end stuff there, and if it flushes at all, that's good enough for them. Five stars for water went down when I dipped the handle. Wooohoo!

Cjccmc

Reaction score
We put in the $88 AquaSource 1.5 years ago in our master bath remodel. It's noticeably lower quality than the AS Cadet 3 I put in 2 weeks ago in terms of how well the parts fit and ease of assembly. But once installed I'm very happy with looks and performance. Gleaming white toilet that has handled everything 2 adults can throw at it without a single issue, never needs a second flush to remove waste. It also looks better than Cadet 3 IMO, only squawk I have is that the curved top of the tank lid means the typical tissue box etc. will slide off so I ended up needing to install a glass shelf.

Whitlow

Reaction score
We put in the $88 AquaSource 1.5 years ago in our master bath remodel. It's noticeably lower quality than the AS Cadet 3 I put in 2 weeks ago in terms of how well the parts fit and ease of assembly. But once installed I'm very happy with looks and performance. Gleaming white toilet that has handled everything 2 adults can throw at it without a single issue, never needs a second flush to remove waste. It also looks better than Cadet 3 IMO, only squawk I have is that the curved top of the tank lid means the typical tissue box etc. will slide off so I ended up needing to install a glass shelf.
Yeah I wouldn't like that plus I don't like the push buttons on top because you can't store stuff on top :)

Whitlow

Reaction score
Off the shelf at Lowes or Home Depot, I'm thinking something like the Cadet 3 and many of the Kohler products with the Aqua Piston.
Sometimes people buy the low end stuff there, and if it flushes at all, that's good enough for them. Five stars for water went down when I dipped the handle. Wooohoo!
Terry have the Niagara's 0.8 GPF held up well over time? It just seems like even though they maybe great that there is more possibility something will break and be a more costly repair.

pdude

Reaction score
Had lots of problems with the Vormax from Lowes. It worked great for a few months. Then after working with their support team, they had to send out the whole new internal flapper system to get it to stop leaking. They had re-designed part of the flapper system. Interested if anyone has bought one lately as I may try another one.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Had lots of problems with the Vormax from Lowes. It worked great for a few months. Then after working with their support team, they had to send out the whole new internal flapper system to get it to stop leaking. They had re-designed part of the flapper system. Interested if anyone has bought one lately as I may try another one.

Yikes, you're a glutton for punishment. Sad to say I have heard nothing good about these "look at me!" attempts to regain market share by LIXIL, the Japanese company that bought AS.

No reason to buy this stuff from Lowe's, as much as I like the chain. Choose something good, and then negotiate a good price on it from a local plumbing supply place (not the showroom rip-off places that charge the grossly-inflated MSRP, but the ratty places that real plumbers buy their stuff). You'll get quality stuff with good service at a good price. I would look at the Toto line, which, to a unit, is well-made and works superbly. Do some research other than on the manufacturer web site, and you will get a sense of what an appropriate price is.

Leonard W. Mendoza

Reaction score
Yes, Vormax seems pretty good flash wise toilet for home depot. It has better quality than the others that you mentioned.
Some features are as follows:-
  • Flushing technology cleans 2X better than conventional toilets.
  • Tall height design for sitting/standing ease and comfort.
  • Easily available at affordable cost.

Whitlow

Reaction score

I'm not a plumber and don't install toilets on a regular basis, but just talking to shoppers in home depot a lot of them don't seem to be happy with the Kohler toilets. I did replace the gasket on a fairly new Kohler for the Aqua Piston and I thought I was going to brake it getting it off so I didn't really like it that much. Also I've read about American Standard using a similar system for the Champion 4 and it had issues at least initially as well from what I've read on here and in reviews. I think pressure assisted like the Niagara is the future, but a few posts on here about issues after one year caused me to stay away for now.
What I find annoying is that most big box stores display toilets up high and you really can't check them out as well such as a lot of them seem to come with steep sloping seats that are uncomfortable such as those with top covering cap seats so they seats are made smaller.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Though it sounds very funny,but as for your concern.
Mr.Gary Herbert our honorable governor . Mr.Hatch and Mr.Mike lee are the senators of Utah.
This is not a good way humiliating a member with this type of question.
Regards

linakidd, not all tradesmen are so harsh and sarcastic about Bangladesh. Apologies. Of course Trump would put it on his list of shithole countries. Maybe that term from came from squatters found in third world countries. Even in 1987 I found them in Slovakia, Poland and Ukraine. I wonder if Terry installed any? They start to become a "unique" item in some bathrooms here. Anyway, I am certain there are many thousands of TOTO's in Bangladesh, no matter the conditions of the poorest. As for Mr. Hatch, he deserves a squat toilet. I have no desire to visit Bangladesh, but Utah Has got to be the best state in this nation for nature, work ethic, cleanliness and industry. And your Bingham copper mine! biggest hole on earth. You plumbers should take that 6 mile dirt road to the top for a look at how that copper got in your toolbox.

copper mine in Utah.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks