Best sub pump for 200 ft?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Hi all,

The time has come. The pump is confirmed dead.

I want to ask the pros- Whats the best 3/4 HP pump for a 200 ft well? Static water level is usually around 90.

I only wanna do this once.. =)

Thank you in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think 7 GPM.

4 inch steel casing?

Dragos2017

Reaction score
It's 6"inch. And three wires are in the control box, so I'm assuming it's a 3 wire pump. I have no idea what they really put down there other than it was a 3/4hp.

Reach4

Reaction score
Wrong pump. That is a 12 GPM pump. You would probably do fine with a 10 gpm 3/4 HP pump, rather than a 7 gpm, a 12 gpm is not enough pump. You need one with more stages that can still deliver water if the water level drops closer to the pump.

If you go to a 3-wire pump again, you probably want to get a new control box... or at least replace the start capacitor. A new box gets a new capacitor and more.

I would probably go to a 2 wire pump, unless you are irrigating for longer periods. Different people have different opinions on that, but for 3/4, I would tend toward 2 wire. I am not a pro.

I will let others suggest brand and model preferences. With a 6 inch casing, your options are much more open than they would be with 4 inch steel.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Impossible to answer without knowing well yield and/or how you plan to use it. If the old pump had done it's job ok, I would go back with a similar replacement.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Impossible to answer without knowing the well yield and/or how you use the water. If the old pump had done it's job well and lasted a while I would suggest going back with a similar model.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
I think that would help huh?

It's pumping water to a 2500 gallon cistern which then gets pumped to a pressure tank. The old one was 3 wire, 3/4 HP. Probably over 15 years old at least. I'm thinking I'd like to stay with what was there to avoid a bunch of rewiring.

I dont know how much the actual flow is. I do know it does run out once in awhile.

I hear Red Lion makes good stuff.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's pumping water to a 2500 gallon cistern which then gets pumped to a pressure tank.
Ahh. That makes a big difference. Since the pump does not have to develop much pressure at the surface, then a 12 gpm 3/4 HP pump has plenty of lift/head.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll probably go with a Red Lion- similar to what I have now.

The well guy wanted 1700 to replace it- I think I might be able to do it on my own.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks