Best Shower Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fein

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a quality adjustable tile shower drain? The strainer on the Oatey models looks like it would deflect or feel flimsy underfoot. Zurn looks better but I have only seen online. Also- is round better than square? Seems like square is easier to tile around. This is for residence with a PVC pan liner.

Thanks!

plumbergreg

Reaction score
Zurn does make good quality drains, check out Watts as well.
As for the shape, that's really up to the style you prefer, they will both work just fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Have you considered using Kerdi? www.schluter.com . I think it makes a superior tiled shower over a pvc liner - traditional construction. Each works, I just think the benefits to using a surface membrane is worth the learning curve. Their drain is square and has the advantage in that it is adjustable not only up and down, but also can be moved about +/- 1" horizontally as well to get your joint just where you want it. On the one I did for my mother, with 2" square tile, I was able to just cut 4 tile out of the sheet and it was a perfect fit around the drain. It takes more skill to cut a nice round curve in tile than straight ones, so I'd go square.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Wade, Zurn, Josam, and JR Smith drains are all comparable, and superior to most residential drains because they are designed for commercial heavy duty usage. Square is easier to tile to IF you can install it "square" with the tile, (and if the drain is the size of the tile or on grout lines so it does not have to be cut into the tile), since it is usually not movable once the base concrete is poured. Round does not have that limitation although it is more difficult to tile to.

Fein

Reaction score
Thanks for the drain manufacturers- now to find a place to order or in stock...

I like the idea of Kerdi but I don't understand how two overlapping pieces of membrane can be better than one solid piece of pvc. Couldn't the pieces separate if the thinset mix is bad or if water contiually runs along a seam and wears it away? I do like that it covers all the walls, and that it is right under the tile. Maybe one of those things you have to see to believe. This being my first shower pan liner I'm leaning towards the traditional approach.

Anyone have a rule of thumb cost difference for liner vs. Kerdi?

Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have bad thinset, nothing will work!

Kerdi is hydrophobic...it literally repells water. Tests have shown under pressure (and a shower pan is not under water pressure), water migrates a maximum of 1/4", and the spec calls for all overlapped joints to be at least 2", so there is a huge overkill. Water does NOT flow under it, if properly installed. You install the stuff sort of like wallpaper...thinset, then place the sheet, then press it flat into the thinset, work out any air bubbles, and excess thinset. And, since it is entirely waterproof, you can build your walls out of drywall (which is the recommended substrate), which is cheaper and much easier to install and cut than cbu.

For the pan, you can use their preformed ones, or build your first layer of deckmud just like you were going to do for a conventional liner. Then, you install the Kerdi. One less layer to build and shape. This means your step into the shower is closer to being on the same level, which is more comfortable, and it make it easier if doing a barrier free shower since you dont' need as much depression or elevation, if elevating the whole room other than the shower. It's faster to install, too.

I took a class at the TCNA headquarters where they had a cardboard box covered with Kerdi and thinset. they used it as a drink cooler. The one I saw had been used daily, filled with ice, and drinks for about 6 months. the paper was entirely intact with no water stains. If you take a square of the stuff, roll it into a cone and fill with water, no water will come out the point...it's good stuff. their drain is the easiest to adjust, and with a surface membrane, you don't have an inch or more of porous deck mud that can get damp...showers dry out much faster.

Jack73

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks