Best sealant for connection to in-wall drop ear elbow - Teflon tape or thread sealant

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
I have an-wall drop ear elbow in my new shower which will receive a short brass nipple which will connect to an outside drop ear (for a hand shower hose). Since I don't have a lot of leeway on the outside to position the elbow - it must point down and it can't be too tight against the marble tile - what would be the best sealant for the in-wall connection? Would Teflon thread sealant (pipe dope) give me more flexibility to position the elbow while still ensuring the best seal than Telfon tape? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could use both. The quality of the the threads will make a big difference on how tight it needs to be before it won't leak. A lot of the stuff made overseas tends to be done with dull cutting tools, and the roughness is harder to seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks