Best Salt Dosage Setting for Fleck 5810 XTR2

Users who are viewing this thread

h20

Reaction score
We recently had a softener installed with the Fleck 5810 XTR2. We are a family of 4 that is using about 300 gallons of water per day. Our water hardness is 11 GPG The installer set the salt dosage to 9 lbs/cuft. However, I was told by others that I should set it to 3 lbs/cuft. I know that decreasing salt dosage will decrease my grain capacity and there is a trade off between salt efficiency vs water efficiency vs, what I have been told but dont quite understand, hardness leakage. Want to see if anyone here has a view on this issue.

Currently I have it set up for
salt dosage 6 lbs/cuft
capacity is 40,000 grains
media volume is 2.00 cuft
blfc size .125 gpm

h20

Reaction score
Higher salt settings usually equal better water quality, lower water usage.
Lower salt settings = higher salt efficiency, lower water quality, higher water usage.

here is a short article on the topic.

https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/66-67

Thanks. But what dosage setting should I use? Should I start with 6 lbs/cuft first and test the water hardness and then make adjustments accordingly? if so, how to test the water? and what is soft enough water? was told that the Hach 5-B does not go granular enough

Reach4

Reaction score
Total Hardness Test Kit, Hach Model HA-71A tests both regular and low range if you want to go more granular.

Normally the Hach 5-B is sensitive enough, with really soft water testing blue before the first drop from the dropper. Test that out with distilled if you like.

Bannerman

Reaction score
what dosage setting should I use?
The most recommended settings are either 6 or 8 lbs per cuft. Those settings offer a good balance of salt efficiency, capacity, water quality and regeneration frequency.

The link below is to a resin capacity chart which indicates various capacities for various salt settings. At the bottom of the chart, there is an indication of efficiency, hardness leakage and water quality for each salt setting.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/resin-chart-jpg.53316/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks