Best residential 50-55 gallon electric water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

cmjb13

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 80 gallon AO Smith electric hot water heater that was installed around 2003 by a previous homeowner.

15 years I think is a pretty good run for a hot water heater so I'm starting to explore replacement options.

Looking to downgrade to a 50-55 gallon tank. I do not wish to go tankless at this time. From what I'm seeing there are really only 3 main brands. Rheem, AO Smith and Bradford White. And after looking at the reviews, they all are terrible ranging from defective models, to leaks, to poor customer service, to not honoring warranties.

Just curious on anyone's experience with these or which one is the "least bad" out of the three.

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even if you found a different "brand" it would probably be made by one of those three. Rheem, for example, also brands their heater Ruud, GE, Hotpoint, Vanguard, Richmond, etc., but they are ALL the same heater. When it comes to electric heaters, they ALL buy the same elements and thermostats, so the difference, if any is in the tank, and while that is what is warranteed, they have NO CONTROL over the water quality you have, the amount of water you use, or the temperature you set it at, and ALL of these determine how long the tank will last. I have never had a problem with warranties. In most cases, your INSTALLER is your "customer service" person.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-25_9-51-3.png
    upload_2018-10-25_9-51-3.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 434

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Judging by what you already know about water heater, get the one on sale, if you find a sale.

To me they're all about the same (others might disagree), and if you think about that, they're all doing fairly good job for appliances that are supposed to go on for around 6 yrs.

Atomic1

Reaction score
What about HTP water heaters? I'm hearing good things and they look pretty well made. All stainless with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Phog

Reaction score
What about HTP water heaters? I'm hearing good things and they look pretty well made. All stainless with a lifetime warranty.

They have been around awhile and are a respected brand. However you may have trouble getting a knowledgeable repair tech and/or repair parts in a timely fashion if you ever have an issue -- depending on your locale. I believe HTP is quite well supported in the Boston area and hit-or-miss in other parts of the country. If you have a local vendor that you are comfortable would be able to support you in a pinch then this would be a vote in favor. However even though a stainless tank should last a lifetime, other parts such as igniters, exhaust fans etc will not. It is still an appliance at the end of the day and nothing lasts forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks