Best option to filter water with high Al and Iron, and turbidity

Users who are viewing this thread

melli

Reaction score
Got well water report a year ago...actually drank water for a while without croaking, but the high iron and aluminum have me worried. The turbidity is another issue, although, when I pour a glass, it looks crystal clear to me. Over time, I began to notice some staining in toilet (iron) and the screen on kitchen sink tap was catching sand particles. Need to clean it about once every two months or so...I've collected maybe a teaspoon of sand/black bits over the course of a year.
Not a lot, considering I use the kitchen tap to clean dishes etc...
Water doesn't taste or smell bad...
I was looking at a spin filter, house filter, Lakos Sandmaster separators....
I bought a 10" filter unit from Rona, but haven't installed it. Came with a 5 or 10 micron filter...I can return it. Personally, I didn't like the fact it wasn't a spin on (threaded), but a quarter turn lock with one O-ring. I don't want my filter to be the weak link (I've read many stories of these things leaking - not the brand I got in particular, just generally). So, what to do? Suggestions?

Attachments

• Well Water Test.jpg
    Well Water Test.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 213

Reach4

Reaction score
I share your concern on the aluminium, although it is not generally recognized as a health hazard. I would worry about Alzheimer's even though the evidence is lacking. Using a reverse osmosis (RO) system, with a permeate pump for efficiency , and maybe a remineralization stage for drinking seems like a good idea to me.

So with your water, a backwashing iron+manganese+H2S+more filter would take care of the iron. Search for "Katalox Light" for threads that discuss that. That will also do the first filtering from well taking out sediment and washing it away every 3 days. Then the cartridge filter will take out smaller stuff.

The Twist2Clean and Sandmaster are for sand that drops out of the water, and are not needed IMO for a little sand in the aerators. For a lot of sand, those filters are really good. I like a whole-house cartridge filter after the iron+sulfur filter. If that filter you got does not reduce the water pressure too much, I would not worry about the fact that it is quarter-turn. I have not looked into the unit. Do not use a filter that uses celulose filter media. Polypropylene is very good.

I have 20x4.5 inch Pentek Big Blue housings. They are screw on, and use an O-ring. The water filled sumps (what the part that unscrew are called) are heavy, so you don't want to have to lift them off at arms length. Unfortunately I did not put in a bypass in case there was a filter leak. I do keep an extra O-ring on hand, because a failed O-ring would shut me down otherwise. I go over a year on my cartridges. Big cartridges last longer. With a single cartridge, I would look at one of the Pentek DGG dual density cartridges.

There are some cartridge filters that have a built-in bypass. That seems like a nice feature.

So here is how I think would do it based on my interpretation of what you wrote.
pressure tank and switch, tee to lawn watering, iron+etc filter, cartridge filter, water softener optional, tee to water heater, RO filter at kitchen faucet.

I would also sanitize my system after you get the changes installed. It is good that you did not have coliform, but you probably have some iron and maybe sulfur bacteria.
The first line of https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ has a link to a nice sanitizing article, but then I go into my possibly-overkill extension that is more about using liquid bleach rather than 4 inch casings.

Get some Super Iron Out, and put maybe 1/4 cup in the toilet tank and another in the toilet bowl for many hours or even days existing for iron stains.

I am not a pro.

melli

Reaction score
I share your concern on the aluminium, although it is not generally recognized as a health hazard. I would worry about Alzheimer's even though the evidence is lacking. Using a reverse osmosis (RO) system, with a permeate pump for efficiency , and maybe a remineralization stage for drinking seems like a good idea to me.

So with your water, a backwashing iron+manganese+H2S+more filter would take care of the iron. Search for "Katalox Light" for threads that discuss that. That will also do the first filtering from well taking out sediment and washing it away every 3 days. Then the cartridge filter will take out smaller stuff.

The Twist2Clean and Sandmaster are for sand that drops out of the water, and are not needed IMO for a little sand in the aerators. For a lot of sand, those filters are really good. I like a whole-house cartridge filter after the iron+sulfur filter. If that filter you got does not reduce the water pressure too much, I would not worry about the fact that it is quarter-turn. I have not looked into the unit. Do not use a filter that uses celulose filter media. Polypropylene is very good.

I have 20x4.5 inch Pentek Big Blue housings. They are screw on, and use an O-ring. The water filled sumps (what the part that unscrew are called) are heavy, so you don't want to have to lift them off at arms length. Unfortunately I did not put in a bypass in case there was a filter leak. I do keep an extra O-ring on hand, because a failed O-ring would shut me down otherwise. I go over a year on my cartridges. Big cartridges last longer. With a single cartridge, I would look at one of the Pentek DGG dual density cartridges.

There are some cartridge filters that have a built-in bypass. That seems like a nice feature.

So here is how I think would do it based on my interpretation of what you wrote.
pressure tank and switch, tee to lawn watering, iron+etc filter, cartridge filter, water softener optional, tee to water heater, RO filter at kitchen faucet.

I would also sanitize my system after you get the changes installed. It is good that you did not have coliform, but you probably have some iron and maybe sulfur bacteria.
The first line of https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ has a link to a nice sanitizing article, but then I go into my possibly-overkill extension that is more about using liquid bleach rather than 4 inch casings.

Get some Super Iron Out, and put maybe 1/4 cup in the toilet tank and another in the toilet bowl for many hours or even days existing for iron stains.

I am not a pro.

Many thanks!
That katalox system is not cheap! Ouch.
I think you've got me on the right track...just have to sort it out.
One of the issues, is my current setup and working it in there, without spending a fortune on fittings....

Attachments

• 20150629_120902 (Large).jpg
    20150629_120902 (Large).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 193
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks