Best option for shimming Cambridge tub level

Users who are viewing this thread

MarlanC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to decide how best to shim an A.S. Cambridge tub level.

The install is in a basement with polished concrete floors. The floor is 1/2" out of level on the long dimension of the tub (away from the drain). We are planning to tile the surround.

I was planning to shim the apron and install probably a piece of PVC trim to cover the gap. We won't have a tile floor to cover it up since the floor is polished concrete.

I was thinking of ripping a 5' length of pressure treated 2x4 to create a level surface for the apron to sit on. So something like 1/2" thick at the high end and 1" and the low end. And use tapcons and construction adhesive to secure in place.

I was thinking this is better than shimming say with cedar shingles as the PT wood would last longer (?) and I'd have something to attach the PVC trim at the base of tub to.

Would much appreciate any feedback and suggestions on my plan/situation.

Thanks!

Marlan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can shim the apron that way.
We install using a 2x4 on the back wall, leveled up, and then shim the apron.
1/2" is pretty far off end to end.

Reach4

Reaction score
Marlan, if you were not planning to have mortar under the tub, I suggest that you search on that topic.

MarlanC

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! Yes, 1/2" is a lot and it was even a new concrete pour. Obviously not well done. Anyway, thinking I will go with the PT 2x4 shim piece as it just seems like it will more secure and longer lasting that individual shim pieces.

And thank you Reach4, I have researched mortar under the Cambridge Americast tub fairly extensively and came to the conclusion that probably not a good idea. American Standard instructions state that no mortar should be used under the Cambridge tub (although now OK for Princeton tubs). It appears that the problem is that it might cause delamination. I decided not worth the risk. And yet that is the tub that we liked best so decided to go with the shimming option.

Marlan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks