Best no power option for a 6 ft cistern 400 ft horizontal and 20 ft Vertical?

Users who are viewing this thread

estes53

Reaction score
Best no power option for a 6 ft cistern 400 ft horizontal and 20 ft Vertical from house?

Spring and 6 ft deep cistern, 400 ft from house, and house is 20 ft higher.

Anyone know what my best option would be for a no power situation.

Was hoping to pump (hand) from the house but so far have not found one that will pull that far.

Was also hoping to hand pressurize a tank.

Any help appreciated.

Alan

Reach4

Reaction score
You could run a hand pump at the cistern, and pressurize the house. A solar powered pump at the cistern is not cheap.

A hand suction pump at the house is possible. It would take a while to prime I think.

So the house does not have power?

estes53

Reaction score
You could run a hand pump at the cistern, and pressurize the house. A solar powered pump at the cistern is not cheap.

A hand suction pump at the house is possible. It would take a while to prime I think.

So the house does not have power?

I'm not young, so pumping at the cistern is not a good option for me.

Everything is powered right now but want a no power option.

Bison say's that their Model 1900 would only work up to 300 ft.

Do you know of one that would do 400 ft?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can't suck water from that far away. If you have a powered pump already, why not just use a generator? An RV water pump and a battery would also work for limited amounts of water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bison say's that their Model 1900 would only work up to 300 ft.

Do you know of one that would do 400 ft?
I wonder how hard that limit is. Maybe chat with Bison. Even 300ft seems a stretch. If I were to attempt it, it would be with seamless poly pipe. I suspect that if you had pressurized water available to prime, it could work. Valveman has experience with suction pumps, and I don't. You might use something rated for higher pressure to let it have a better chance of not collapsing? 1" SIDR 11.5 160 PSI Excel Potable Water Poly Pipe at Menards®

You would want to make sure that the highest thing of anything with suction on it was never more than about 25 ft higher than the altitude of the lowest water level. That includes the pump innards and the whole length of the pipe.

estes53

Reaction score
I'm thinking of maybe setting a pump and tank in my barn which is about halfway between.

It would be cold out there sometimes, but if there is bad weather I could drive from my garage to the pump

Reach4

Reaction score
Pushing water is easier than pulling water. If you can drive half way, driving the whole way is not so bad, right? Isn't this just for power failure conditions? Clarify "no power".

If you are pushing, also look at the Simple Pump https://simplepump.com/ offerings.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks