Best method for plumbing kitchen island vent

Users who are viewing this thread

coloradomike

Reaction score
Good morning,

My son recently purchased a home that was built in 2001. We are doing some remodeling prior to his move in including a complete kitchen remodel/reconfiguration. The old kitchen had a island with sink and dishwasher , not in a straight line... .but with a couple of unusual angles. With the redesign of the kitchen the island is being moved 2 feet and will be straight, 6 1/2 feet long.

My question is, the original island hand a lopped venting system. I can move and rebuild if I want, but they take up so much space, I was wondering if I could just cap of the old return vent line and use and AAV in it's place. The island will contain sink, garbage disposal and dishwasher.

Thanks for your advice!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Determine whether you will be building a pony wall with cabinetry attached or whether you are just building the island on cabinetry.

A wall will give you a place to conceal all the plumbing and electrical whereas a cabinet box gets really busy with exposed piping and electrical boxes.

We typically install the drain and AAV in the wall with a louvered panel for access and breathing.

If you're not using a wall, then careful planning of layout helps in the end. I try to target my drain to the back corner of a cabinet in that case.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, just about everyone uses AAV's now. The island/return/loop vent is still a "better" method, but a lot of building techniques are about faster these days, not better.

coloradomike

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response, will go with AAV as it is simpler to plum and install. Just wanted to make sure there was not issue with capping off existing vent pipe.

By the way, building a pony wall that will have a cabinet face applied over it. My plan is to rough-in water supply, drain and electrical in pony wall - then install AVV inside sink cabinet.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm a big Opponent of elbowing into the cabinet then up for the AAV. It takes up a lot of space and if you're not careful, gets stuck behind the sink where you cant get to it. Especially avoid the center of the cabinet under the faucet. Total PITA place to try to work one of those so if you do stub into the sink, aim for the corner away from any dishwasher air gap, disposal air switch, soap dispenser etc..

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Well we tried to do a chicago loop recently, and when I questioned it, it was clear that the plumber hadn't vented the loop properly. He cursed for awhile, and then ended up running an individual loop 3 stories up to the roof. It was a lot of pipe in a small space, and just very frustrating to get everything pitched right for the loop vent. I'd tend to agree the AAV make more sense, but in NYC they're illegal. Like public enemy no. 1 illegal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks