Best fill valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I built my house in 1993, and it has (if you can believe this), three original toilet fill valves. Two of the three are starting to leak a bit, and it's time to replace them all.. or should I?

I know Fluidmaster is the common replacement fill valve these days, but at my shop I've been replacing them every few years - same at my mom's house and my father in law's house.

The original fill valves from 1993 are hoov-r-line 8121-1as with the old school ballcock float. But I've never had a problem with them. 28 years is pretty good, three out of three.

For a couple of dollars more than a Fluidmaster, I can buy a new hoov-r-line as, surprisingly, they're still made.

So my questions are if these valves are still reliable as they used to be, and would a home inspector allow them (I thought I read they wouldn't). Is there a more reliable, longer lasting fill valve than the Fluidmaster?

Also, there is a kit for the hoov-r-line : https://www.amazon.com/Ballcock-Repair-Cap-Hoov-R-Line-Hole/dp/B000MW4P7U/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2A0467R3PBP10&dchild=1&keywords=hoov-r-line+8121-1as&qid=1587597109&sprefix=hoov+-r-+l,aps,292&sr=8-1

But it doesn't say if it includes the internal diaphram or gasket that would cause an incomplete shutoff.

Any advice appreciated.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The working part of the Fluidmaster is easily replaceable, and cheap. The same is true of the Korky quietfill series. Between those two, I'd probably go with the Korky Quietfill as the shutoff is more gradual. While it doesn't happen everywhere, the Fluidmaster tends to shut off more abruptly, and that can cause some supply line noises more often than with what you have or the Korky design.

FWIW, it's rarely the case when you need to replace the entire valve on Fluidmaster or Korky. The actual sealing gasket is quickly replaced for in the $3 range.

The seals on the Fluidmaster and Korky may have a shorter life than what you have, but a lot of that depends on your water pressure and chemistry. Replaceable without tools, though. I tend to keep a spare sitting around, so if I notice an issue, I can fix it right then rather than having to make a run to the store when I have time and think about it. The trigger that you may need a replacement seal on the Korky is a delay for the water to turn on after flushing...the gasket is getting stiff. Eventually, it will crack after that starts.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just swapped out all 3 of my Fluidmasters think I changed 2 of them in 2015 I was getting a water hammer from one of them. Changing the seal works too I'm going to get some of them too because I do repairs for others too. honestly they don't last long enough with my water and pressure

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Older valves may not contain an anti-siphon valve in them. Now, that normally isn't a big common issue, but having that feature adds insurance that with a problem, you can't suck toilet tank water back into your potable water system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks