Best Drill Bit for Electrical Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
What's the best type of drill bit for drilling through 2x material to pull electrical wire? Forstener? Spade? Auger? Twist? I've got lots of holes to drill and I'm tired of fooling with the spade bits which on a right angle drill always seem to bind. :(

Thanks,
Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
None of the above...I can't remember the name, but try one with the screw point lead-in. Sort of like a twist drill with a wood screw on the front, it also has some of the features of a Forstner bit. It is designed to cut fast and is self-feeding because of the screw. Interesting to see what others have to say...

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Just about every sparky i know, uses auger bits - I'm pretty sure that's what you're describing, Jadnashua?

Attachments

• auger bit.jpg
    auger bit.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 4,459

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yep, that's it. Just don't hit a nail or screw with one. WHen they're sharp, they slice through really fast. Hit a nail, and it doesn't work well trying to tear the fibers at all.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Some brands of self-feeding augers sold by electrical supply houses have nail-cutting capability. I'm not an electrician, but I've done a lot of rework. When you're drilling through a plate you can't always tell whether there is a nail in the way.

Rick

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
They're also called ship-auger bits.

And you can get some that will go through nails with no problems.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That's what I use too. Mine are getting old. Anyone know of a place to get them sharpened?

Thanks

Tom

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I use a Dremel tool with a small round-tip conical stone to sharpen mine.

Bob,

For better or worse, I'm a generation X. I generally avoid sharpening things and rely on tools or professionals to do the sharpening. I'll have to find someone locally to sharpen them. I figured you'd need a special machine to sharpen those.

I have two cases full of those things some that are pretty long. They are extremely useful.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I have about 20 of those in assorted sizes and lengths. I sharpen all of them myself. They come out as good as new. You just have to know how to sharpen them.
I use a 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. NEVER sharpen the top. Always the cutting edge down into the throat.

OscarG

Reaction score
I picked up a set of Irwin Speedbor Max bits at BigBlueBox Store last summer to do a project. They are great! Three cutting edges, short enough so even w/o right angle drill I could go streight through joist on 16" center using battery power dirll.
3041004_lg.jpg

Check this link for Irwin Information

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's what I use too. Mine are getting old. Anyone know of a place to get them sharpened?

Thanks

Tom

Ask at a woodworking store.. they know people who sharpen saw blades, they can usually do these too.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It would be a rare 3/8" drill that was rated to cut a 1-1/4" hole. Those bits are aggressive and will require a lot of power.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks